Unlimited access >

Showing in the Rain--Any Tips

I could search, but I’m lazy today. The show this weekend is going to be showery one day, and a washout (potentially) the next. I’ve done sprinkles and drizzle, but never all out rain (yes, I’ve been very lucky!) So, what tips for what to do beforehand to prep saddle for exposure to wetness and aftercare? Any tips for riding in the rain? Share your ideas to help me out.

I wouldn’t be terribly concerned about saddle prep I think. I’d just be sure to dry it off well afterwards, and if you’ve got a long wait between classes and don’t have access to any kind of shelter/stalls, I’d cover it with something.

If you wear makeup, two words: waterproof mascara. No need to look like you’re sobbing your way around the ring.
A waterproof jacket (maybe even with a fleece inside, depending on the temperature) to swap out with your show coat will be nice to have someone holding ringside. Similarly, some kind of cooler for your horse might be helpful.
If you’ve got a helmet with a wider brim, I’d probably prefer it over a narrower brim, just to keep a few more raindrops out of your eyes.
Give yourself plenty of time to warm up, as it might take a little longer than usual.

Tip: ideally, find out in advance whether your horse spooks at the sound of himself galloping through puddles.

17 Likes

I trail ride in drizzle a lot in the PNW.

Bring multiple rain jackets. Once they get wet they can get very chilly even if they dont leak. Bring a change of clothes, extra show clothes but also extra barn clothes like fleece sweat pants etc to change into. Have a quarter sheet that covers the horses butt and saddle. Bring towels for a rubdown and fleece or wool coolers.

Much of this depends on the actual temperature. Where I live rainy summer days can be about 15 C or 60 F and if you are wet it’s pretty chilly! If it’s subtropic 25 C/ 78 F and steaming, it might be different.

Have hot drinks in a thermos.

Oh bring lots of gloves once they get wet they are horrible.

Make sure to dry all your rain gear overnight. I usually hang my raincoats on the hot water tank in my utility room.

Take your leather tack home to dry out inside after.

4 Likes

Really depends on location/expected temperature during your rainy show days, and what you’re showing in.
Showing jumpers in Florida? I’d just bring an extra shirt and extra pair of breeches, and be thankful for the reprieve from the heat. I always put leather balm w/ beeswax on my leather everything before a show, that’s decent water protection, and if it gets rained on, I towel-dry it when I’m done riding for the day and oil it.

2 Likes

Oregon. June. Temps in the 60s to maybe 70. Mare is an old pro so not too worried about her reaction to the rain/puddles (and the rings are pretty awesome, so not much puddling unless we get a gully washer moment!)

I’ll pack her cooler, find my other saddle cover (when my other gets wet), extra clothes for when I’m done. I do have 3 pairs of old gloves in my trunk, thank goodness. Still not looking forward to this though. I’m too old to be gallivanting around in the rain!

2 Likes

EEk that’s a little chilly for rain, for me!
I wouldn’t do anything different, tack-wise.
Cooler for pone for while waiting in between classes (if that’s going to happen).
Depending on how many classes in the day, I’d take one or two extra show coats (if you have more than one, and you are showing in classes that require coats), and have a waterproof rain jacket or poncho to wear over your outfit while waiting between classes.

Bring ALL the clothes. Even socks, bras and underwear. Having show clothes is great but having to put them on under soaked undergarments is… not great. Don’t forget some layers for under your rain coat because 60s and pouring is colder than you think.

Your tack will be fine, just clean and condition when you’re done.

Hopefully you don’t wear glasses, and if you do, hopefully you have contacts.

6 Likes

Oh, damn…yes, I have glasses. Forgot about that. I’ll bring a cloth to dry them, tucked into my pocket. I only have one show coat, but it’s a tech fabric one so it’ll dry quickly. I have 3 OF and an U/S on Saturday, same on Sunday. Not big classes so I shouldn’t have long waits by the ring in the rain. Barn is set up for 2 weeks of A show following this smaller Outreach show, so tack room, people room, tent available to get out of the rain, too.

My tip is to scratch :rofl:I hate getting wet and ruining my tack

Otherwise find a rain cover for your saddle. Lots of extra towels to wipe your hands before you go in the ring. Pack a rain sheet for your horse in case you have to stand around in the rain.

7 Likes

THIS!
In general, see if your horse is as confident through the paces and jumping if it’s puddly/really rainy. Your horse may ride differently (my old horse would “jump” the puddles we couldn’t avoid on course while cantering in the warm up).

Go buy some RainX for your glasses. https://www.rainx.com/product/rainx-2in1-glass-cleaner-rain-repellent/

1 Like

Showing in the rain in glasses is the worst. I have many memories of showing in downpours as a kid and just aiming my pony at colorful blobs around the ring, hoping the blob was the right jump because I couldn’t see a damned thing.
Definitely have a soft cloth to wipe your lenses with so you can at least start the round being able to see!

1 Like

If the show is a ways out, I like Hydrophane leather dressing to help protect leather saddles/bridles from the rain. Also good for paddock boots or leather muck boots.

Not ideal for use on tall boots though.

That and bring extra clean dry towels. Microfiber towels too which are super handy.

Dry socks, dry undies and a spare pair of boots if you have them as well.

1 Like

Today turned out sunny, hot, and so humid! Heavy rain last night, break today, heavy rain tomorrow, so I dodged a bullet for one day of the show. Dealt with being completely sweat soaked but otherwise fine. Mare was so sweaty after her classes—rinsed and hand grazed, then she went to her stall with a fan so she could have her nap. She’s a dedicated nap taker! Great results today in much bigger classes than expected. I bet tomorrow’s rain thins the crowd a bit. Thanks for all the great advice! Maybe we will get lucky and the rain will hold off until my classes are done tomorrow too!

3 Likes

I prep the saddle with mink oil. It will keep it from becoming saturated and sticky. I prep because I find very wet leather to be difficult to ride - but on the other hand, with all of the sticky things on breeches these days, maybe it isn’t much change for people who wear those. (I don’t wear those breeches so can’t compare.)

Mink oil does make the saddle leather a tad stiff. It’s a good idea to try it first in normal weather to be sure you are comfortable with it.

Also, I like to have a complete set of dry clothes to change into just before driving home. With a towel, of course! I load horse & dog, get them as settled and comfortable as possible, and then explain to them that they need to just chill, please, while I take 10 minutes to change & get dry myself, and then we’ll leave. :slight_smile:

If you have dog with you, when you are ready to leave the dog may be wet with rain and probably dirty as well since dirt seems to find and stick to wet dogs. I make sure he has done his potty-before-car-ride, then find a hose to clean him up, and then quickly bundle him into the car with a lot of dry dog towels. There he stays until I do my own get-dry routine explained above. So it is load horse - clean & load dog - clean change & load me.

Then we can travel home in some comfort after a wet day.

So.Much.Rain. But it was mostly overnight and it created a water jump or three in the hunter ring. I watched the earlier divisions go, discussed with my trainers, watched it rain more, saw lots of stops and very muddy children scooped out of the footing, shoes come off horses, and filthy, sandy horses heading for the wash racks, while tractors dug cars out of the parking area… and decided to scratch my classes and hand walk/ graze my mare instead before she hauls home. Retreat seemed the wisest course today. I was not alone! The classes were less than half the size of the day before. An inch of rain in 10 hours will do that!

14 Likes

I was also get rubber lined reins for rainy days. I cannot keep my grip with straight leather reins when they are wet.

2 Likes