Unlimited access >

Showing on the Rated Circuit!

I’ve never really done a lot of showing, but that’s what I really want to do. I love helping my friend out at shows (grooming, tacking up, stuff like that), and watching random horses and riders warming up, longeing, or riding in their classes! I’ve watched more unrated, but have seen a couple big rated (A & AA) shows.

I do not have a horse right now, but am planning on buying one soon… :smiley: I’m looking for one with show experience, but I’m fine with one without… Eventually, my plan is to be showing on the rated circuit, and even the A’s. I have experience, the horse might not [in a nutshell]! :wink:

So, my question is…I know what it’s like to show at schooling shows and stuff, but what is it like at the C’s, B’s, A’s, and AA’s?! What are the major differences between all of them? And the price difference, what people wear - details like that. I know this is a broad subject, but I’m not in a rush…Just whatever comes to your mind, how you felt when you started showing.

Thanks,
HunterJumper<3

Well, A/AA-rated shows are more likely to be week-long affairs whereas most, if not all, C and B-rated shows are single-day. In the northeast, you’ll occasionally see one-day A-rated shows, but that’s relatively uncommon in most parts of the country.

At a lot of A/AA-rated shows, barns will haul in for the week and have tack stalls set up as well as stalls for their horses. Stalls will be decorated with drapes telling you the farm name, trainer name, location, etc. Your set-up will basically be your home away from home. Many barns travel on the road like this for weeks (or even months) at a time.

There is obviously a huge price difference between the different levels of showing. Depending on your trainer’s costs, you’re looking at at least $1k per week of A/AA-rated showing, but at a full-service barn, that’s probably closer to $2-2.5k or more.

At any level of shows, you should expect to see neatly attired riders and well-groomed horses. The C shows, for example, here in the northeast attract a high-level of competition because there are many of them, so oftentimes the 3’ Child/Adult Hunters are just as competitive as at A shows. The only difference is that we only braid for A shows.

You sound young, so my one word of advice would be to be realistic about what you can afford. A hunter that is moderately competitive at the A shows is probably going to start around $30k and go up from there. You’re looking into the 6-figures if you want the winner.

Thanks! :slight_smile: I’m really excited to start showing. Anyone else?

There was a C show last weekend (or two weeks ago?) at Donida Farm in Auburn, in a few weeks there is a C show at Monroe, Oct 11-13 I think. This is the last show of the season so go if you get a chance.

Here is the WSHJA link–

http://www.wshja.org/content/shows/shows.aspx

Next season starts in the beginning of April with the AAs at Monroe.

It sounds like you are very enthusiastic, I am happy to recommend a trainer in your area that would be a good fit for helping you learn the ropes (and also have suitable horses for lease and/or sale).

Oh thanks! I watched the Spring Nationals in Monroe, at the Evergreen Equestrian Park (I think?)! They were amazing. :smiley: I’m more of a hunter-type person, but the jumpers were really fun to watch.

That is a 3 show series. The first week is Spring Inaugural Hunter, the second is Spring National Hunter, and the third is Spring National Jumper.

One of the barns I braid for is going to the show in a few weeks at Monroe, should be some good rounds.

The answer to your question is… it all depends. A lot of what people wear to A shows depends on styles in that geographic area. As a previous poster mentioned, you will always see horses that are well cared for, good weight, good nutrition, and someone grooming them until they shine. Riders are often dressed in the latest fashions (helmet brands vary, custom boots, wrap collar shirts, soft shell/technical jackets, etc). Here is the breakdown for my costs for one week at an A show:

Hauling:$300 I trailer my own horse, but if I didn’t that’s what it would cost to go about 2 hours from the barn.

Splits for the barn: $500-$700 This includes set up (drapes, tack stalls, grooming stalls, etc.), shavings, feed, meds, trainer’s expenses, day training fees, etc.

Grooming: $300 $50 a day plus a tip

Braiding: $340 Manes are $50 a day, and tails $35 a day. This is assuming 4 days of braiding

Show fees: $1,000 This includes stall fee, drug fee, class entry fees and whatever other fees they decide to tack onto the bill. I always hope to win a little money back in my classes, but that generally pays for cocktails later. :slight_smile:

Then I still have my expenses… hotel, meals, etc.

I generally budget about $2500-$3000 a week when all is said and done for an A show. B shows generally don’t cost much less, except for show fees and sometimes the splits. You still braid, still have to set up, bed stalls, buy hay, pay trainers expenses, day training, etc.

Start with your local shows that you haul into for the day. You’ll spend a few hundred dollars and get some good experience. The big shows are fun, but it takes quite a bit to finance the endeavor.

In my part of the world (zone 5) we’re lucky enough to have some decent B shows very locally, and some nice A shows (both big and small) within a 2-hr drive.

I do most of the B shows, which run 3 days (Fri-Sun). Many of the competitors do the local As as well, so the main differences are fewer entries, costs (slightly lower) and we don’t braid.

For the As, most run 3-5 days. They tend to be very competitive and very pricey.

I have a lovely AO mare that I brought along myself, I trailer my own horses, and I’m my own groom. I do pay for braiding and the barn “splits” along with my show expenses , but I do as much as I can to keep my costs down. A B-show weekend runs about $700 if I’m frugal (bring my own snacks, etc). A’s are about $1200, though it the show’s within an hour of my home, I’ll skip the hotel and commute (gas and home cooked food cheaper than a weekend of eating out and hotel).

As far as competition goes, the B’s generally have 3-5 in my division, whereas the As are about double that. A “good” 4 trips will usually get me Reserve at the Bs whereas I get beat by the “great” trips at the As…

My advice, get a nice horse with some rated milage. Enjoy your local circuit while you’re gettting to know one another and then put a toe into the A-show world. You can save money (if that’s a concern) by not rushing out to buy the trendy clothes or tack. A navy hunt coat, well fitting boots, and beige breeches will work for all your classes. Tack doesn’t have to be top-of-the-line, but it does have to fit well and be scrupulously clean.
Most importantly, find a coach who does some rated shows. Nothing is sadder than showing up at a quality venue and getting strange looks (best case scenario) or disqualified (worst) because your instructor had you go in the ring with unconventional or illegal tack or something like that.

It is possible to “dabble” on the rated circuit with moderate success. For us mere mortals with full time jobs and mortgages, budget and time are our biggest limiting factors. In order to do the Best AAs shows (Devon, indoors, etc) you really need to be a full time program, with a top coach, regular lessons/schooling rides, etc. That’s more a way of life, in my opinion, and isn’t feasible for most of us.

Good luck in your initial forays into the rated circuit. Most importantly, Have Fun. Afterall, that’s theoretically why we’re all doing this madness :slight_smile:

Do you currently have a trainer you are working with to buy a horse? If you goal is to reach the A show level, you want to select a horse with that potential. Nothing is more frustrating or expensive than buying a horse that can’t get you where you want to go.

For A shows in WA, you can check out wshja.org for their shows. Many WA barns travel down to Wilsonville, OR for the series of shows at Huntercreek. You can check out those prize lists at oregonhunterjumper.org

For costs, if you can braid and do your own grooming/day care at shows (and have a barn/trainer that offers that option) then shows can become more reasonable. Your trainer can help you create a budget. The number of classes you show in add up–a green horse will be more $$ as the trainer usually rides in the pro classes, then you ride in the ammy stuff. Full care? Where all you do is show up? Expect $1500+ a week, plus your own living expenses (like hotel/food). Really, there are fixed costs to showing, but your choice of programs/trainer, level of horse/competition and your own willingness to pitch in and do what you can will make the difference.

Here’s a nice example… I’m in SE PA (Zone 2) and we have a lot of local rated and non rated shows. Many of the venues will hold both rated and non rated competitions, and some competitors or farms will go to both. This last year I attended a show with my green horse at the same facility.

1 Baby Green division, Non rated show cost: $60 entries + $10 ticketed schooling

1 Beginner Hunter division, rated show: $225 entries + $8 USHJA fee, $8 USEF fee, $10 office fee, $10 ticketed schooling, $12 EMT fee… and more… It was in total $298 bill

Both shows incurred a $50 coaching fee from my trainer and a $150 shipping fee.

These were only day shows and I did not have to pay grooming, braiding, and stall fees that are typical of rated shows. Just to give you an idea.

$225 sounds pretty pricey for a beginner hunter division that showed all on one day and doesn’t offer any prize money. I hope that was for more than one division.

[QUOTE=EAY;7184031]
$225 sounds pretty pricey for a beginner hunter division that showed all on one day and doesn’t offer any prize money. I hope that was for more than one division.[/QUOTE]

It actually sounds about right with what I’ve priced and why I don’t tend to show rated shows.

[QUOTE=RugBug;7184065]
It actually sounds about right with what I’ve priced and why I don’t tend to show rated shows.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know. Entry fees for the 3’3 A/Os at Upperville are $150 and that’s for 4 jumping classes with prize money. Most of the unrated or zone-rated divisions are $100 there.

[QUOTE=EAY;7184112]
I don’t know. Entry fees for the 3’3 A/Os at Upperville are $150 and that’s for 4 jumping classes with prize money. Most of the unrated or zone-rated divisions are $100 there.[/QUOTE]

Last A show I priced out around here was $235 a division.

I just looked at a premium for a B and C show and it was $154 without stall.

Checked another B show premium for a show coming up in Oct. One division (Rusty Stirrup at 2’3" with 4 classes, two o/f, two flats and no prize money) + a warmup would be $200 for just the classes, no office/drug fees in that number.

[QUOTE=RugBug;7184147]
Last A show I priced out around here was $235 a division.

I just looked at a premium for a B and C show and it was $154 without stall.

Checked another B show premium for a show coming up in Oct. One division (Rusty Stirrup at 2’3" with 4 classes, two o/f, two flats and no prize money) + a warmup would be $200 for just the classes, no office/drug fees in that number.[/QUOTE]

Glad I don’t live in CA. :lol:

[QUOTE=EAY;7184169]
Glad I don’t live in CA. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. :wink: I also live in an area without nothing closer than 2 hours and most is about 3.5. sigh.

[QUOTE=EAY;7184031]
$225 sounds pretty pricey for a beginner hunter division that showed all on one day and doesn’t offer any prize money. I hope that was for more than one division.[/QUOTE]

Sorry it was a typo! It was $125 in entries :slight_smile: Sadly the bill still was $298! Damn USEF/USHJA non member fees…

I took a hiatus from rated shows and this one popped up on me unexpectedly and I forgot how EXPENSIVE it is if you’re a non member (technically inactive member). Now I remember why I took the hiatus to begin with… I decided 2’ Beginner Hunter sale horses meant I didn’t need rated mileage from now on :wink:

I love your enthusiasm and I love that you’re doing some research ahead of time!

As you prepare to show, I think two of the very best things you can do are -

1.) Study the USEF hunter rule book.  You can download a copy at the USEF.org website
     2.) Buy or borrow a copy of Anna Jane White-Mullens [U]Judging Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation.[/U] and study it.

I am amazed at the number of threads here and on other boards with questions, complaints, rants and misunderstanding from people who have been showing but didn’t do the most basic work to understand the sport and its conventions.

My only other advice is that when you’re first showing, you’ll get a lot more bang for your buck at unrated schooling shows and “C” shows. I wouldn’t attempt an A or AA until you’re really polished and competitive at the lower levels.

Good luck!