Unlimited access >

Showing recognized - which memberships do I need?

I’m planning to show recognized for the first time this year - will likely just be intro/training.

It seems like I need USEF, USDF for me and my horses and for me a local membership? Yikes!

Recognized shows don’t usually have intro classes. If that’s what you want to show, just join your local GMO for a (generally) reduced show fee for the schooling shows. And if you look, you may have a schooling show series that isn’t affiliated with a GMO, so all you have to pay for is the show fee.

Welcome to the “dark” side

The recognized shows I do indeed have intro at them. However, they often don’t require memberships. I recommend checking with shoe management on the requirements for the shows you’re planning on doing.
If you plan on going up the levels, get lifetime memberships for your horse for USEF and USDF and participating memberships for yourself with both organizations. Joining your local GMO is a good idea too so you can do year end awards. It is a lot of up front $$ but not so bad after the first year since your horse will already be covered.

1 Like

Depends on how often you plan to show & how interested you are in year-end standings.

I show in the occasional ADS Driving show & just fork over the non-member fee. Show fees are generally cheap anyhow, so the added $ is no deterrent.

what are your goals. Are you aiming for your regional championships?

All of our recognized shows offer intro.

OP: You have options:

The cheapest is to show in Opportunity Classes if they are offered. No memberships required, and the drug fee is waived. These don’t qualify for any awards/regionals.

Next option: enter any classes you want and pay the non-member fees. This is usually cheapest if you only do one show. If you do two+ in the same season, you’ll be somewhere between breaking even and paying more versus just joining.

If you want to join, you’ll need USEF plus USDF. USDF has options:

USDF for you: You have two options. Participating and Group. Participating is the full membership. Group is when you join through a local GMO (which likely comes with its own benefits). If you do Group, your scores don’t count for year-end awards or to qualify you for regionals.
USDF for horse: You have two options. HID and Lifetime. Lifetime is the full membership. HID is like group - it’s fine for everything except year-end awards and qualifying for regionals.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Is there any benefit for year end awards or regionals outside of the recognition? I want to make sure I fully understand whatever I choose :slight_smile:

You need memberships (or numbers) from USDF and USEF for your horse, but these are one time fees and not annual fees, so not expensive in that sense.

You (and the owner of the horse if someone other than you) can either pay the annual membership fees to USDF and USEF or, even without them, you can show but pay a “nonmember fee” to the show. If you are planning on more than three shows a year, it is cheaper to get the annual membership than to pay the “nonmember fee” with each show entry.

If you plan to show regularly, most people keep their USDF and USEF memberships current because it’s easier, your scores are recorded and count for your bronze medal and other awards, and because being a member supports those organizations.

If USEF does something that disgusts you, like support SafeSport going after pedophile fellow trainers, you can announce loudly that you not renewing your membership in protest.

around here many do have Intro. DO nto be discouraged.

If you belong to a local GMO, all you need to add is USEF (and horse numbers, USEF and USDF>>). GMO membership gives you a group membership to USDF, and you can earn scores towards rider medals.

THere are often "Opportunity"classes, which do nto require membership. "Pursuant to Chapter 8, GR821.2e(5) and GR821.5, horses, riders, owners, trainers, and coaches participating
only in Opportunity classes are exempt from Federation and affiliate organization membership and Horse
Identification (HID) requirements and non-member/Show Pass fees, but are required to list the Federation
membership number if the participant is a member. EC 11/18/13 Effective 12/1/13.
https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/Z6TRWhW91y8/opportunity-classes---effective

scores earned under Group membership count for rider awards such as medals. Otherwise what a great explanation!!

1 Like