Unlimited access >

Showjumping trainers in the DC/MD/NoVa area?

Hey everyone,

I’m brand new here (obviously haha), and I’ve searched through the threads on this subject before, but I wanted to post my own situation to see if I could get some more specific responses.

I live in DC and am about to finalize the details on leasing (and maybe later buying) an Oldenburg mare in Aldie, VA. She is a great jumper prospect and has already evented at prelim level so she definitely has scope and a great dressage foundation, but she hasn’t done solely jumpers yet. I also am getting back in shape after taking a 3 year break from riding when I went to college. For now until I decide to buy her, I’m going to have to board her onsite in Aldie.

Now to the crux of this post: I really need a great showjumping trainer- and preferably one who would be willing to come out to Aldie to train me until I can move the mare, as I don’t have my own trailer. I’ve seen lots of people post about Joe Fargis, Gavin Moylan, and Kama Godek, but I’ve been having trouble finding reliable contact info for them, and was also wondering about any other trainers of that caliber that might be in the area? Really want to take my riding as far as it can go and am looking for a serious and experienced trainer to take me and my hopefully soon-to-be horse through the levels. Feel free to PM me if you’d like- any help would be so greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

It sounds like you want someone who will travel to you, which will probably rule out a lot of trainers. Ann DeMichele is near Aldie, and she might be willing to travel.

I believe Gama is now in Florida-see this article
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/pint-sized-michaela-munson-says-me-too-riding-horses

I have an old cell phone number for Gavin, do not know if it is still valid.

But I do not think he will travel to you.

Joe definitely won’t travel to you.

I have not worked with her myself (though I hope to) but my sister has lots of good things to say about Jennifer Lee. They were meeting at a place in Aldie, so Jennifer did travel to other barns at least some of the time. If you are interested, I will see if I can find her contact information.

(She was named to the Hong Kong Show Jumping Team for the Beijing Olympics)

Paige Cade of Country Fox Farm is based out of that area. I’m not sure if she travels to other farms or not but it’s worth looking her up. Her farm has a facebook page (and I think website) with her contact information. I don’t think she went down to WEF.

If not coming to you is not a deal breaker Guy Cambria in Upperville.

[QUOTE=anmoro;8569067]
Paige Cade of Country Fox Farm is based out of that area. I’m not sure if she travels to other farms or not but it’s worth looking her up. Her farm has a facebook page (and I think website) with her contact information. I don’t think she went down to WEF.[/QUOTE]

Second this recommendation, Paige is lovely, and probably would not mind traveling. She did do Ocala for a few weeks but is back now. She’s moving her operation to a farm in Middleburg soon as well just fyi.

[QUOTE=Janet;8569044]
I have not worked with her myself (though I hope to) but my sister has lots of good things to say about Jennifer Lee. They were meeting at a place in Aldie, so Jennifer did travel to other barns at least some of the time. If you are interested, I will see if I can find her contact information.

(She was named to the Hong Kong Show Jumping Team for the Beijing Olympics)[/QUOTE]

That sounds amazing- thanks Janet! I’ve had a really hard time finding someone who will travel. I also reached out to Lynn Symansky who I know is usually willing to travel.

Thanks everyone for your help. I’ve got a good few names to look up now. Going to look into Paige Cade and Guy Cambria. Really appreciate the responses :slight_smile: