Side saddle

How feasible is it for an older person (70’ish) to take up side saddle when astride is no longer feasible due to one bad knee and a knee replacement. She has the horse - a smallish steady eddie. I used to show sidesaddle and wondered if it would work for her. She would just amble along the trails mostly.

I would have her check with her orthopedist. So much depends on the horse, the saddle, the condition of each knee. I’ve ridden sidesaddle, by the way. How would she get on and off? Would the saddle have a leaping horn? Which knee is bad, which has been replaced?

Things to think about…

It shouldn’t be a problem, IMHO. A lot of people ride sidesaddle when they can’t ride astride for physical reasons (I’ve met a couple of amputees who rode sidesaddle because astride wasn’t comfortable with their artificial legs).

Feel free to pass on my info to her - jenn @americansidesaddleassociation dot org. I won’t be available until after Oct. 24 (our big fundraiser for the rescue is the 22 and then I need a few recovery days). But after that, I’ll be catching up on sidesaddle stuff and I might be able to help her find someone near her who can give lessons, help her find a saddle, etc.

They actually make sidesaddles for either side. So getting a good fit should be possible.

cowgirljen - that is so cool - you are a busy person. I had no idea. Thanks.

I’m encouraged to encourage her to try this. We have contacts enough to find use of a saddle to get started, and I have taken clinics on sidesaddle riding and used to show. Sold my sidesaddle when I changed horses to one who was not quite the right fellow for the job.

Yes, the getting on and off is a challenge - always was, since we don’t always have a handsome man to catch us as we dismount.

I rode sidesaddle right up until my first daughter was born (like three days before) because astride it felt like the baby was coming right on down.

I have made sidesaddles for several ladies who had orthopedic problems and also one who lost her right leg below the knee to bone cancer. I had one lady who was 78 and rode her Icelandics in a Western sidesaddle.
There are many ladies young and old who are riding sidesaddles because they can’t ride any other way.
They ride various ways but Hacking/ or trail riding, most, for pleasure.
I know of one lady who was 83 and still riding her big Thoroughbred.
She has passed away now but she was an inspiration for us all.
sadlmakr

That is inspirational, Sadlemkr - I would love to be an enabler in this!! When you have ridden all your life, competed, hunted, MFH, and been a complete horse lover born and bred, it is tough when it comes time to hang up your spurs for some people! Put it off for as long as possible.

Where there is a will there is a way. I have made near side and off side sidesaddles. And for one lady in Virginia I made a reversable sidesaddle.
The sport of horseback riding is one of the best things older folks can do for themselves. Never hang up the “spurs” or set the saddle in the attic until they start tossing the dirt into the grave. It has been a new lease on life for many older riders. Yes even men. One fellow is a winery owner and had bad hip and back problems and could no longer ride astride. He got a Steele sidesaddle in a basketweave pattern and kept on riding. He is a big fellow and no one makes fun of him. He rides in the mountains and goes on hunting trips. In my research I found that George Washington rode a sidesaddle in his later years and also the Marqui De Laffeyette also rode a sidesaddle in his later years. It was designated as a "Lady’s saddle "until later on.
It is a great way to keep riding even when the body is slowing down.
sadlmakr

Sadlmakr makes some fabulous sidedsaddles, too. She is an awesome source of.info and knowledge. :slight_smile:

My own saddle was a Champion and Wilton which was very flat indeed. But looking through the sites, the Steele has a nice deep seat which I think would be more comfortable and keep you in position more. I liked the idea of a ‘cantle’ that can stop you falling off the back end… This is very interesting and I’m going to print this out to show her (she has no internet)

I have had some older models of Champion& Wilton sidesaddles that had slightly raised cantles. I prefered them over the flat seats myself. I had a Mayhew that also had a raised cantle as well. They were great saddles and I really liked them. There are lots of lesser known names in sidesaddles that were good saddles. They turn up now and then. Bach and Parker were good saddles and very fine workmanship in them.
Westerns are good for trail riding since they have deeper seats. There are some older models that still fit our modern horses.
If a lady can attend a clinic and see all the different kinds of sidesaddles, it might help her to find the kind she likes and something to guide her when she is shopping for a sidesaddle. Some models fit some women better than others, so it is good to be able to try out several styles for the best fit.
It is a new adventure to get into sidesaddle. And you will meet some remarkable people too.
Kind regards, sadlmakr