Unlimited access >

Sight Unseen Bill of Sale?

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of selling my jumper gelding. I have a serious buyer who lives too far away to come and see my boy in person. I have sent her extensive video of him and spoken to her and her coach and she is (hopefully, don’t want to jinx it haha) still interested in proceeding.

This is my first experience selling a horse, so everything is very new to me and I was wondering if anyone has a bill of sale for selling a horse sight unseen to someone that they would be willing to share with me? I have searched online a bit and I am not sure what exactly would be appropriate in this sort of situation. Would it be advisable to get it notarized as well?

Thank you so much in advance :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you’re asking - ?
Are you trying to protect yourself? The horse? Reassure the buyers in some way?

A “sight unseen” bill of sale should pretty much be the same as any other, I’d think. You definitely want to make sure you have language in there disclaiming any warantees (like “as is”, though those words might not be sufficient). I would also include something about who is responsible for anything that happens after the horse leaves your farm (hint - make it their problem).

I see that you’re in Canada - if you’re selling to someone out of the country, you might be smart to consult with an equine attorney about potential differences between Canadian law and that of the buyer’s country. Many transactions go off without a hitch and there aren’t any problems, but if something does happen, you really need a good contract that spells out when both sides expect if something does go wrong.

Good luck!