Siglavy Mantua

10 Likes

Beautiful! --question: what is the long thin stick he appears to be carrying upright in his right hand?

His whip…

2 Likes

riding with one hand, whip upright

He is carrying his whip upright. Stefan Peters has been known to do that, at times.

It demonstrates the rider’s ability to ride w/o the reins.

This horse was not lashing its tail. This rider can use his spurs with DELICACY.

The horse’s nose is in front of vertical most of the time.

A very pleasant video to watch. Thank you.

5 Likes

Rode the whole test with NO curb rein. Lovely!!

4 Likes

Interesting how short the steps are behind and not going under. He looks kind of off on the right hind?

5 Likes

No. Rode the entire performance with no snaffle rein. The horse is being ridden entirely ON the curb rein.

3 Likes

God I love COTH. Perfectly demonstrates the whole “2 horse people, 3 opinions” thing.

I’m not meaning this in a negative way, I’m often just reminded how true that really is.

There were things that I did and didn’t like about the ride, but mostly based on personal preferences.

9 Likes

Exactly

If this in any way refers to my post about the horse being ridden on the curb rein and NOT on the snaffle, that is in no way opinion. That’s a fact, like it or not. Riding on the curb alone is a thing and has been for hundreds of years.

6 Likes

The Spanish Riding School riders all use an actual wooden stick. It is a natural branch, not machined. IIRC it is hazel wood.

3 Likes

Short pony-like gaits.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, this horse isn’t sound. Not with that mega-lateral/pacey canter he came in with.

2 Likes

No, it does not.

I understand and know that’s a fact. I may be an idiot at times, but come on :rofl:

Really though, my post wasn’t directed at you.

3 Likes

I think the angle of the camera makes him look more lateral than he really is, though I also thought he looked a touch off at the trot.

1 Like

Perhaps. It started out lateral but not bad, then it got real bad as he approached the bush/pillars.

1 Like

Yeah, not my cuppa, but seems to be for others (upthread).

I’m fine with average or different movers, but I don’t like anything that really makes me question soundness and just isn’t “correct” if that makes sense.

3 Likes

That’s a very old video of the stallion’s retirement ceremony. So no doubt his gaits were a bit compromised after a lifetime of service.

20 Likes