Unlimited access >

Signs of needing SI injection.

Hi all. I have spent a fair amount of time searching for symptoms of a horse needing SI injections. I am particularly interested in learning if it’s normal for these horses to be uneven behind. (As in the horse is dropping a hip.)

Thanks in advance!

The symptoms of SI issues can vary wildly. You can have horse that just doesn’t want to engage their hind end, is “not quite right” behind, or you can have a horse that is a complete bronc at the canter. But all of those symptoms can indicate other problems too (sore hocks, ulcers, poor fitting saddle, etc.) Have you had a vet look at the horse and confirm that they think it’s an SI problem? If you haven’t done that, that’s where I would start. If you have some bony changes in the SI, your horse might benefit from an injection, but if you have ligament damage–an injection won’t help.

In my mares case, the ligament damage in the SI is being treated with stall rest, bute and hand walking. After that, we will start on a slow rehab program prescribed by my vet. I don’t think there is any plan to inject because there aren’t any arthritic changes or lesions.

Thanks for the input! Im just trying to educate myself on things. Vet, chiro/masseuse/great farrier are all involved with horse. Hock injections didn’t seem to have as big of a impact this time as they have in the past. The gelding is very special to me and I’m trying to keep him comfortable for as long as possible. In the past, I’ve known of horses to get their SI injected due to do a sudden change in thr canter(for the worse) but that’s about all of my experience. Im thinking it may be time to investigate this possibility. :slight_smile:

Does he palpate badly over the SI? That’s often a pretty good indication that they’re in pain.

Most horses I know develop some form of canter issue (swapping behind, reluctance to pick up a certain lead, reluctance to do a change when they usually do them fine, bucking into or during the canter, reluctance to go forward). Occasionally, they start stopping at fences. Sometimes they feel just wonky or weak.

I have had my horse’s SI injected. One of the symptoms is that a Chiro adjustments just won’t take. I had worked with a Chiro for a while, my horse was injured by an unsympathetic trainer, and asked him what he thought and he said ‘it would be a good idea’. Talked to my vet who is also a chiro and he did a evaluation and due to the what I explained to him thought it would be a good idea as well. She was only injected once and has been doing well since then. She did put her SI out again a couple of months ago, the chiro put it back in. At the time I asked if I should have her injected again, this time he said ‘no, wait and see if the adjustment takes’. Which it did and she’s been fine since. Actually saw her today, he was out for another horse and I had him look at her too and she actually had only a very minor adjustment done.

I know my one horse needs his SI done when it feels like someone is holding on to his tail waterskiing when he canters. Sorry I can’t be more scientific than that. I agree with Amanda, he always palpates sore as well.

My girl was very visibly uncomfortable when her SI region was palpated even with a gentle hand following a bad slip/wipe out. She was sore enough that she was shifting her weight from one back foot to another because her whole backend hurt. She immediately felt better following the injection.

Now I know when she needs a massage or chiro when she doesnt seem comfortable cocking a backfoot and camping out in the wash rack or standing square. The minute I see even the slightest shifting of weight in the back feet I have one of them out.