Unlimited access >

Silicone breeches and Saddle “Wear”

I’ve ridden in silicone breeches exactly once (and at a show, no less) and absolutely hated them. If anybody is on the hunt for some white Fuller Fillies, let me know.

Anyyyyyway, I ride in just plain leggings. Old Navy makes a high waisted pair with phone pockets and they’re on sale all the time. RBX makes fleece lined ones with phone pockets that are all I wear to the barn in the winter. I barely even miss my beloved (and increasingly harder to find) plain full seats. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting advice, since extra conditioning makes leather softer and more likely to stretch. I would keep the leather in good condition, and condition it no more than required for that or any sitting on it seems likely to cause more wear and stretch.

6 Likes

Different brands have different levels of stickiness. For me, Esprit breeches are just about perfect. Kerrits are not sticky at all.

4 Likes

I have been riding almost exclusively in silicone breeches for many years. I have seen no visible wear on either my dressage saddle (King’s Saddlery) or my jumping saddle (Albion). They are both made in England.

But I understand that French saddles are much more fragile.

4 Likes

My saddle is English made but with German leather. It isn’t calf leather and feels pretty sturdy. But … I’m paranoid lol

Well that’s good to know thank you!

My saddle came with the directive to not oil it for 6 months to a year. I’m not in the habit of oiling (like neatsfoot oil) saddles at all. So far I’ve just been dusting it off and keeping it in climate control. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Pretty much exclusive use of silicone breeches/tights for years now in several saddles. I notice no issues whatsoever.

2 Likes

I’ve been riding in silicon seat breeches in my new saddle for 2 years with no signs of wear from them.

I proved quite conclusively earlier today that they are not excessively grippy, either. Maybe they slowed my momentum a bit as I somersaulted out of the saddle into the footing, but they sure didn’t weld me in place, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Sorry you had a fall and hope you are ok!

I have a Kent and Masters hunt saddle that seems to be doing fine with my silicone full seats, but (total first world problem) my car leather seats not so much. The silicone comes off and clogs my vents for my heated/cooled seats.

If I had a softer leather saddle, I would sell all my silicone breeches.

1 Like

Thanks. I think so! Just a bit stiff and sore. Thank heavens for new fluffy arena footing.

1 Like

I currently ride in silicone breeches and I think they have a “bit” pattern.

I have only noticed a bit pattern in my saddle when I dismount. Fo ME on Sir SpooksAlot, I’ve noticed that I get unseated less when he has a hard spook in the silicane breeches. I used to ride just in knee patch breeches since 1) I don’t fit into my full seats but am trying to change that and 2) felt I had to rely on my balance more without a full seat.

The other day, for example, I had a beautiful uphill canter depart but on stride 2, Sir SpooksAlot spooked HARD at the Ditch of Death next to the arena that he was fine going by at the walk and trot 20 whole minutes previously. At the canter he saw dead people there for a moment but didn’t see them for the rest of the ride where he was happy and relaxed going be the Ditch of Death. Honestly, if not for the silicone, I would have been off. He splays his front legs suddenly widely so the saddle drops out from under you and wheels to a side in prep for a bolt so the center of balance is no longer the center of balance. I really recommend silicone breeches if you have a hypervigilant horse.

10 Likes

So I have not noticed any wear on my calf skin saddle.

However, I am not totally sold on silicon full seats. I like the stretch and the comfort vs the “diaper bum” feel of other types of full seats.

I have lost a little weight lately (yeah me), and have noticed that because of that I find myself becoming separated from my breeches in the rising trot.:rofl: My breeches stick to the saddle and don’t come with me right away. So back to my riding clothes drawer to see what else fits me that did not fit well before.

4 Likes

I cannot remember details, but I know I’ve seen a tiny carrot or two on my saddle after riding!! :grin:

3 Likes

LOL this happened to me too. I was rising at the trot but my pants were still on the saddle. They weren’t so sticky and the silicone pattern was rather spaced out, so I thought they’d be alright, but no. They are otherwise comfortable and I like that the fabric has more flex than the full seat material.

That being said I don’t like silicone breeches or being stuck to my saddle. I actually really like my knee patch Horseware tights that I wear in the summer. Otherwise it’s all Pikeur.

I don’t like the pattern silicone breeches leave behind on my saddle. I don’t know that they cause as much wear on the leather as some claim though. I know some saddle makers advice against them.

1 Like

My new saddle is calf skin and I did ask the fitter how to keep the seat sticky.

She said silicone breeches will wear the seat, in that it won’t be sticky. I always ride in FITS full leather seat breeches so I don’t have to worry about the wear on my saddle.

2 Likes

J-lu, I think you and I may have the same horse! And to be fair to the silicon full seats, yesterday’s spook was way more dramatic than the normal dramatic, for which they are quite helpful. I’d have needed superglue to keep me on. Bad boy. (But, bad roofalanche.)

I do agree that they do have to fit well!

2 Likes

We very much might have brothers from other mothers! As much as I like and love my horse, he can be problematic in his behavior. I always described his as someone who would push women and children out of the way going down the staircase in a fire alarm.

Well, you really can’t help a roofalanche and that actually is sudden and scary. I’m sorry you experienced that 10 out of 10 scary noises plus scary visuals for a horse and undoubtedly a scary sudden event for you. You may have fared better with breeches with suction cups. Maybe. Maybe. These are times I end the ride with a treat for my horse saying “thanks for not killing me, I really appreciate you”.

4 Likes

My saddle does have an upgraded leather option (as compared to the standard leather used for the brand). It’s soft and “matte” I guess is best word to describe it? It isn’t a leather that is slick and shiny.

I’m leaning towards sticking with suede seat breeches.