Unlimited access >

Silicone breeches and Saddle “Wear”

Glad you’re ok! If you had to come off, in the new footing is the best place!

I currently ride in traditional full seat breeches with suede seats. My only complaints are the lack of thigh pockets for my phone and the “button” closure at the top of the zippers. I’m worried about accidentally scratching the saddle with aforementioned button!

Horse has a history of explosive spooking but he’s come along way. I feel it’s sensible to avoid riding in plain “street” leggings but I dunno that I necessarily need the stickiest of the sticky seats.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean about traditional full seats having a diaper look / feel.

That’s funny about the silicone staying stick to the saddle when you rise!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Knee patch tights are something to consider. It’s been a while since I’ve ridden in knee patch breeches or tights. More grip than “street” leggings but no diaper butt feel / look.

Yep, most of my Pipers are a bit on the big side for me. No problem with posting trot, but when I sit my large warmblood’s trot, they are paradoxically not helping me because the breeches stay with the saddle and I bounce up a little inside my pants. I’m slowly transitioning to other brands of silicone seats in size that means I better not gain any weight. :laughing:

3 Likes

I ride in Dover brand silicone breeches. I don’t feel stuck to the saddle at all and can easily move my legs and sink into one seatbone/leg position or the other. I wouldn’t ride in them if they made me feel stuck. Maybe some brands are “stickier” than others? Previous to these I was just in knee-patch breeches which were cool in my last saddle but not so cool in my current saddle.

I 100% hear you on the button closure of any breech scratching the saddle. Long ago up to today, I have a leather “grab strap” on the pommel of my saddle. I grab mane with the left hand and the grab strap with the right hand, take my feet out of the stirrups, and fling my left leg over the saddle and kind of leap to dismount. The grab strap balances me. I learned to do this so I wouldn’t scratch my saddle with that button!!!

1 Like

My favorite breeches, Freeride, just came out with suede full seat breeches and they have awesome phone pockets. I love my silicone but thought it might help to share :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Things that only horse people can say and/or understand.

12 Likes

These look interesting, it looks like faux suede, and it’s sewn as the only fabric on the bum, instead of most suede which is sewn on top of the pants, contributing to the diaper butt feel.

3 Likes

Ahh good eye, I didn’t catch that! I wonder what it would feel like to have only the suede

2 Likes

Right?! I rode in the tighter new breeches (B Vertigo) last night and was able to sit the trot better. I’d say these are medium on the stickiness scale.

Have been riding for the past 7-8 years exclusively in FF silicone full seats in 30 year old Passiers/Keiffers. Those saddles have giggled at the idea of wear from silicone.

2 Likes

I have a Passier that’s older than me and it’s tough as nails. The seat is also slick as snot. My new saddle has soft grippy leather on the seat. I’ve been experimenting in riding in plain leggings for street wear and still have grip so I think I’ll be ok in traditional suede type seat breeches

And that explains my love of silicone full seats!

3 Likes

No doubt!

Try finding the old plain “self patches” knee patch britches. I hate sticky britches. I will look into Old Navy.

1 Like

Oh gosh, no kidding! My fave knee patch are ages old winter breeches from Dover. Can’t find them any longer!

My fave is the power soft side pocket. They come in both 7/8 and regular length. https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=613537022&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=side%20pocket%20leggings#pdp-page-content

I replaced my seat and flaps, and I attribute it in part to silicone. it’s hard to find non-silicone seats, though, and I ended up getting a sheepskin riding cover and riding in it upside down (fleece down) to protect my new, expensive leather.

3 Likes

I bought a pair of white “competition leggings” from Flexars at Equine Affair, they have no silicone or suede at all, they’re all fabric. Full disclosure I haven’t ridden in them yet because I havent had a show since then, but they’re an option of no grip. I ride in leggings at home - Ododos from Amazon, the ones with pockets.

1 Like