Unlimited access >

Sir Gasperon Stallion

I purchased a mare this past spring who I have fallen in love with. I am curious of her past and breeding. With some research and some deep dark web stalking/searching, I have been able to get into contact with my mare’s original owner/breeder!! This breeder also owned the stallion Sir Gasperon.

My question to TCOTH readers, who is Sir Gasperon!? He may have been imported from Germany to Canada. The breeder of my mare, acquired the stallion from auction in the early 1990s. He is believed to be Hanoverian. His sire is believed to be Wendland. I have not been able to find any info on his dam.

Does anyone know anything about Sir Gasperon and his dam line?

I also own a TB/Hanoverian mare by Sir Gasperon. I’ll be following this thread with interest.

A great place to start would be to contact the verband and ask about whether or not they have a horse registered by that name and if so what they can tell you about him.

​https://en.hannoveraner.com/nhannoveraner-service/kotakt/​​​​​​

Was the former owner Tony?

If that is Tony’s “Sir Gasperon”, this is the story that he told me (I HOPE I am remembering this correctly).

Tony went to a Hanoverian auction in Canada (Ontario?). He purchased Gasperon (call name) as a young stallion WITHOUT papers. The owner came to him afterwards and offered Gasperon’s “papers” for several hundred dollars more. As this was a bank-ordered dispersal, the papers (I believe) were supposed to go with all the horses that were sold, but the owner had “lost” all of the horses’ papers. Unbeknownst to the bank, the owner had the papers and was trying to get some money for himself without the bank’s knowledge.

As there were NO Hanoverians in Western Michigan at the time (and I don’t think there were that many, IF ANY, other types of warmbloods), Tony said “No” to the former owner. I THINK that Tony’s idea was that 1/2 Hanoverians weren’t registerable, and therefore, paying money for the papers (which the owner SHOULD have left with the horses) was a waste of money.

Gasperon was bred to a variety of breeds early on, and as I remember, the foals produced were pretty nice (I saw a number of pictures) from whatever they were bred to—Quarter Horse, Appaloosa, Thoroughbreds, etc. Later on, I think that Gasperon had the opportunity to be bred to some warmblood mares–I think Tony himself bought a few.

This is the story the best that I can remember from that long ago.

According to this, he was Canadian bred?

https://sporthorse-data.com/pedigree/sir-gasperon

I have a 31 year old Hanoverian/Appaloosa cross gelding out of Sir Gasperon. His dam’s name is Joker’s Baby Girl