Unlimited access >

Sizing DOWN In Seat Size?! And Comfort VS EQ

My saddle seems to be pinching my new mare after her body has changed shape in the past 3 months so I’m looking at new saddles (currently own a CWD SE03). I have ridden in 17s for ever? But sat in a 17 Voltaire Palm Beach and ordered a 17 Voltaire Blue Infinite to trial and can fit like a hand and a half behind me? I had been thinking/ feeling that the CWD was a bit big (also sat in a 17 Mademoiselle same day as the PB) and maybe sizing down a half size May give a different/ better feel. I am not tiny but not huge - pretty average at 5’3 and 135~. Does any one ride in a 16.5? Or sized down and noticed a difference?

I’m also a bit stuck - I have a better position in the PB (haven’t really ridden in the Blue, only sat in it) but prefer the cushy Mademoiselle. I don’t dislike the PB, though it did feel weirdly different to have my leg under me vs a bit in front where it tends to go in the CWDs. Should one prioritize comfort or proper position? My position isn’t bad in the CWD, it just seems better in the PB.

I’m 5’9” and 130-135 lbs (post holiday here, so definitely the latter :laughing:), and can easily fit in a 16-16.5 seat. I’m swimming in flat seated 17-17.5” saddles, but can do a 17” deep seat model usually.
The flap is where I personally run into issues since there aren’t many 16” saddles with long forward flaps, unless I order one, which I will be doing if my horse comes sound off rehab.

Edited to add: definitely prioritize proper position. I find I can get used to most seats as long as the rails and general shape are right. Unless you’re buying a saddle to go xc regularly, having that stable base of support REALLY helps!

1 Like

Really interested in this conversation, got the same question! I am pretty shrimpy (5ft, 110 lbs). currently ride in a deep 17 and feel comfortable in it. I also have a 16.5 CWD SE03 with short flaps that I use sometimes and I feel like it is really a TINY saddle even though it technically fits. Most people call it my pony saddle and they actually borrow it for schooling the ponies. So in my unscientific opinion, I think a 16.5 can really feel a lot smaller than a 17, even if it is a flat saddle. A couple years back I had a 16.5 Antares for a while, but ended up getting rid of it because I felt like it was too small and that I was spilling out of it. I do think people have their preferences with wanting a saddle to feel just right or wanting some extra room, allowing for fluctuations.

I have ridden in a 16.5 for ages now. Started at 5’4" and 115, have added some weight but sadly no height. I actually tried a 17 for a while because when I was jumping bigger I needed a forward flap to put my stirrups up, and ended up compromising on a slightly forward flap and bigger seat due to student budget limitations.

Cue a saddle fitter coming out years later and putting me back in a 16.5, and realizing how much more centered I was. The 17 had thrown backwards because the balance point of the seat was behind where my actual center needed to be. My seat was always behind my heel and I ended up way pinchier with my knee. As soon as I tried my current saddle it was immediately easier for me to maintain a half seat and keep my legs under me. For me, the change was both comfort AND proper position - it felt like coming home and my trainer saw it immediately as well.

2 Likes

That’s kinda what it felt like in the Palm Beach - I wanted to ride closer to the front of the saddle (don’t know if that is correct or just a preference) but I would be tossed towards the back a bit. I wonder if it isn’t a combination of CWD having too far forward stirrup bars (for me) + the slightly too big seat which is why the PB put my leg under more but still felt off. The CWD “feels like home” but I know my leg is too far forward/ body is too far back.

Thankfully I prefer/ need a straighter and shorter flap (I ride in a 1L for CWD) which is slightly more common with the smaller seat sizes but it seems like 16.5s are much harder to find overall.

Good notes about the flat vs deep seat sizing. I have a 17 deep seat dressage saddle that fits well and I definitely don’t think I could size down there. But I like my jump saddles on the flatter side (I’d have a Butet if they were so dang hard).

1 Like

I definitely need a smaller seat for a flatter saddle or I feel like I’m constantly scooting up on the pommel. And some saddle brands and models tend to run a bit “bigger” than others in terms of where you want to sit to feel balanced vs seat size. I think even in the deeper Voltaires. I like a smaller seat in order to feel like I’m sitting in the middle. Which might mean a forward flap too, which I usually don’t get. For me, I’m good in most jump saddles in a 17 but the deeper the seat (including for dressage, and I don’t like a “locked in” type of dressage saddle), I can and/or should do 17.5 for the best fit. It’s not so much about your height or weight but your conformation and the saddle’s.

1 Like

I was always told saddle seat size has nothing to do with weight, but with your thigh length. I’m 5’2" with a shorter leg and even when I was my heaviest at 180lb, my saddle fitter had me in a 16" saddle. Now I did lose a lot of weight and gained muscle as I was competing in body building, so went down to 110lb and still had the same saddle. I’ve quit body building now and have put on some weight, but still fit and love my 16" Antares. So it really depends on your thigh length on what size saddle you need. You could even be 5’10" with a short thigh and ride in a 16" saddle or be 5’3" with a long thigh and need a 17.5".

3 Likes

This makes sense to me. I’ve ridden in a 17” all my life but have a long thigh. Realizing I feel more comfortable in 17.5 in most brands now…

In my experience, Voltaire runs small, so I have an 18” PB, but my former CWD SE02 was a 17.5. Every other saddle that ever fit me was a 17.5.

I’m 5’1 with a pretty long leg for my height, my main saddle is a 16.5" Stubben Portos and my backup is a 16.5" Beval.

Go with the one that puts you in the right position - everything will be easier if you aren’t fighting your saddle. Even if it doesn’t feel as comfy/cushy off the bat, in a week or two you’ll be used to it.

1 Like