Unlimited access >

Sizing IRH helmet

I unfortunately ate it pretty hard during my lesson today with a good whack to the back of the head so I’m in the market for a new helmet. My current one was an older style IRH ATH (strip down the front, no side vents) which I love but I cannot for the life of me find a size marked anywhere in the helmet. I remember being 6 7/8 in prior helmets but I’d like to be certain of the size before reordering. Does anywhere know where it might be marked? The paper tag just has a date of manufacture and model number info but no size.

Also if I do decide to branch out, any suggestions on similar shaped helmets? I’ve borrowed Charles Owen GR8s before and those also seem like an ok fit but I’m a little reluctant to shell out so much cash for something that probably isn’t any safer than the cheaper one.

Is there any chance you could go try on helmets at a store? Or order a couple sizes from SP or RW and return what doesn’t fit? I ask because I’m not sure if sizing is even consistent within brands anymore. I started a thread on this today but I just received an IRH that is almost 7 years old and it fits completely differently than every other one I’ve ever had (sizing accurate, but more oval than my others and IRH is my go-to brand). So I would not make any assumptions about different models, especially if yours is older.

My old IRH (that sounds very similar to yours) only had Small, Medium, and Large as listed sizes. I had to look up a conversion chart, which I have since lost, to find what approximate size I actually was.

But nothing compares to trying things on.