Unlimited access >

Skippylongstocking Wins the (G2) Oaklawn Handicap

It was a fun race to see him win, with his rags to riches story. His name just makes me smile.

He beat some good (and incredibly well bred expensive horses) maybe not the best older horses in the country but they weren’t shabby.

8 Likes

His name makes me smile too! I’ve missed his story, but if you could share, it would be appreciated.

1 Like

Here’s one article;

5 Likes

Thanks! Sounds like he’s a nice horse to have in the barn. I had to laugh at the $37,000 sale price being low. Standardbreds go a lot cheaper TBs. Hopefully one of our real cheapies can do well this summer, we have a few NY sired babies my daughter has been bringing along. Fingers crossed, they race up to what they are showing.

6 Likes

I don’t know about the purses that Standardbred races offer. Are they substantial? I know it depends on the race, but other than that I am ignorant.

Skippylongstocking’s owner certainly had a good return on his investment, and a lot of fun. Skippy was a 15K yearling and his current owner bought him for 37K as a 2 year old. He’s earned over 2M. :blush:

6 Likes

:crossed_fingers: :pray:

2 Likes

Sorry, just saw this!

Standardbred purses really vary depending on the track and what the race level is, compared to TBs they tend to be lower, but when you’re racing top class horses, they are really good. Our local track, the purses are on the low end, but Woodbine Mohawk is a lot better, with many more classes than here, but it’s also a 4 hour drive to get there.

The Sire Stakes money is good, and the way to go if you want to buy young horses. We have I think 3 NY sired youngsters, so we’re very hopeful for this year. My daughter has gone down to NYS with her BF and his father with the trailer full of harness, joggers, mats and gates today to set up the shedrow. She just called, very sore from driving all the way, but very pleased with herself for her first long trip hauling the trailer.

The shipper is picking up the stable next Friday. Most of the older horses are going to do qualifiers here again on Wednesday as a tightener (most of them qualified a couple of weeks ago but STBs tend to do better with more races), so they’re ready to roll in Vernon the next week.

1 Like