Unlimited access >

Sliding Barn Doors

I need to put a new door on my barn, and as much as I would love to go with an overhead door I don’t have the height as I need to be able to pull in a trailer loaded with hay. Sliding door it is. Current one is big, 12x14 ish. Its a real pain in the winter so what I want to do is build a sliding door with a horse and human walk through door in it. That way for the winter I don’t have to fight the sliding door. Has anyone seen this or even better have pictures?

Thanks

if you have the money an overhead door can be installed with only about 5 inches of overhead clearance if a rear mounted torsion spring assembly is used

As for a sliding door it would be helpful if the door was tracked inside the building to keep from having to shovel the snow and ice out the retraction area, that is what we did after fighting repeated heavy snows

1 Like

This is a random internet photo, but I have seen this set-up before.

I personally would prefer to build a man-door separately from my sliding barn doors.

4 Likes

Shoot, we have an overhead door with that arrangement in it here at the plant.

There’s no reason why that couldn’t be framed out. You will have a threshold on the man door that will be a bit high to step over, and a real PITA to pull a wagon or something over.

1 Like

To avoid the threshold issue mentioned above, would it be possible to make the sliding doors an unequal pair where one is smaller? For instance, an eight foot wide door paired with a four foot wide door. Still covers the 12 foot width, but the four footer should be easier to operate (speaking from experience, as four foot sliders are what we have on our metal barn).

Could be mounted indoors, as suggested by clanter.

ETA: our four foot sliders aren’t 14 feet tall, however. Don’t know if that will make a difference in operation.

1 Like

if desired a personal door can be installed in a sectional overhead door, just costs money

How about a roll up overhead door? We have those in our barn in Central Florida and for us they are great. They stay up most of the time – but we can roll them down in bad weather.

2 Likes

make sure it has wind locks clips on the curtain, those hold the curtain in the guides under wind load

the inexpensive ones like on a mini warehouse usually are 29 ga, it is better to use a 25 or 24 gauge

the barrel of these is greater than the room required for a sectional door torsion spring assembly

Designed to meet wind codes in Florida – just like residential garage doors.

The BO built a steel building with an 80x200 arena and 40x200 barn area. She put in sliding doors at both ends of the aisleway and both ends of the arena. She sized them large enough to accomodate an ambulance (which was called once), hay trucks and trucks with trailers that
are large enough to deliver bleachers for Lippizan shows. When one of them needed replacement she switched to an overhead which was easy to open by hand.