Unlimited access >

slight swelling on inside of front pastern?

My horse likes to give me gray hair I swear -_- So I had a jump lesson tuesday night, He seemed totally fine after etc. Gave him wednesday and thursday off. He lives mostly out with 2 older horses, comes in for meal times and to rest. Went to go ride him yesterday and noticed that his left front ankle seemed a bit swollen on the inside. No heat, no pain when I touch it, and no lameness. Just rather odd as he’s never really had swelling like that before. I iced it and gave him some bute, will check on it today to see if it has gone down. More likely he bumped it out in the paddock? Or a sign of something else? I’ve included a picture (swelling on the hoof w/ the white hair patch)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/equineunlimited/29705680333/in/dateposted-public/

I wouldn’t go crazy about a bump with no heat, pain or lameness.

Judging by the photo, it looks pretty minor. It might be a bug bite, it might be the result of a wee bump, or it might very well be nothing.

I wouldn’t do much of anything, really, except keep an eye on the guy to make sure he isn’t developing lameness, sensitivity or heat anywhere in the area.

Any cuts? Does he have a history of interfering?

My horse did something similar; had a tiny bit of filling (no real swelling, heat, pain, or lameness) after doing fitness work that went away after one poultice. She was fine for a week and then it reappeared. I had it ultrasounded and she has a tendon strain that requires several months of rest. So, it could be nothing but it totally could be something.

Medial branch of the suspensory ligament? How old is he and is he new to jumping or is he jumped infrequently?

No budging on the filling tonight, still no heat/pain to touch. Re-iced it, packed the hoof with magic cushion b/c i can’t hurt. No cut, jumps at least once a week, 14 years young

For future reference, don’t give bute for things like this. Being sound, with no heat, and no sensitivity to palpating, there’s no reason to use a powerful drug for a small swelling.

As he looks toed-out, that means his feet swing inward on the forward motion, and he may have hit his fetlock a little. Ice never hurts. If it gets sore, or hot, or makes him lame, obviously call your vet. If it’s not worse, or is even better today, 4 days later, it’s probably nothing and I would just put him back in work, a couple days light work, then back to normal. Keep an eye on it.

[QUOTE=JB;8893567]
For future reference, don’t give bute for things like this. Being sound, with no heat, and no sensitivity to palpating, there’s no reason to use a powerful drug for a small swelling.

As he looks toed-out, that means his feet swing inward on the forward motion, and he may have hit his fetlock a little. Ice never hurts. If it gets sore, or hot, or makes him lame, obviously call your vet. If it’s not worse, or is even better today, 4 days later, it’s probably nothing and I would just put him back in work, a couple days light work, then back to normal. Keep an eye on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, he was standing a little funny for the picture but is typically not toed out really. He is a bit of a forger though, so perhaps he knocked it somehow? Of course, he is not cooperating about being kept in a at night with all his buddies outside, and I’m not sure if he’ll do more damage throwing a hissy fit in his stall versus just being out with the rest of the horses -_-

I wouldn’t keep a horse in for something that minor - especially if he’s upset.

UPDATE:
Vet came out today and took a look. Gave him a shot of Dex and said to continue with sweating it/icing. Basically looks like excess joint fluid. If it doesn’t budge within the week, we may need to do either an xray or ultrasound on it