Unlimited access >

slightly off topic: umbilical hernia

We have a big yearling filly (700 plus lbs) who has an umbilical hernia about 1.5 to 2 " big. The hope was that it was going to close on it’s own but so far not. Does anybody have any experience with no treatment/treatment/surgery? What about costs for surgery? Any experience or knowledge regarding hereditary trait?

Get a broom handle about 6 inches long. cut it in half lengthwise. get 2 stainless steel clamps to go around it and have a wrench handy.
Either call your vet in to knock her out or tranq her heavily and do it yourself. Put the 2 pieces of the broom handle on either side of the excess skin, pull it through, tighten the clamps, spray blue antiseptic spray on it and spray it a minimum of twice a day and voila - in 9-10 days it falls off (find it, clean and sterilize it if you can and get rid of the dead skin of course! And put it away for future use) with minimal to no blood, heals up completely and totally and in a week or two after you never even knew there was an issue

My vet did mine and I think all told he charged me like $80.00 - $90.00 including the visit

Guelph and Milton Equine wanted $1200.00 + - to perform the surgery

If you want - send me your email address and I can send you pictures of it and measurements. sales@truecoloursfarm.com

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Another option:

http://www.cmequineproducts.com/id23.html