Unlimited access >

Slippery trailer ramp, coco mats

I have precisely zero experience with Hawk trailers so I am unsure what the older un-slick matting looks like. Not even sure about the matting they offer on their website. Maybe it’s super grippy, but it looks identical to the slick matting I’ve seen on my trainer’s trailers. Doesn’t look special at all. So perhaps they are using a different matting now, but I can’t tell. I was hoping someone familiar with those trailers would chime in.

I did just the edges and it was fine. It would be easy enough to go through the middle if you wanted.

1 Like

I think you are on to something here…which I alluded to up thread. When mine slipped (and fell to his knees the last time) I reordered my new 4 Star w a 6’ ramp instead of a 5’ one. It made a tremendous difference for him; the weight difference is negligible for me. I realize this is an extreme fix, but I couldn’t take a chance on him getting hurt. He is a very good hauler and we never had a problem w slipping before. Ever.

Where does everyone get their Coco mats?

I ordered mine from Amazon and did have to cut it down to size

What did you order?

I got a 4x6 coco mat from Amazon that I use on the side ramp of my gooseneck 2+1. I agree that the ramps are steep. I would not love it if they had to back down the back ramp. I also use a 4x4 under the side ramp to make it less steep - another reason I like the coco mat because it covers the edge of the ramp.

I’m not sure what style of trailer you have. But I’m curious if a 6’ ramp would still allow for upper window above the ramp to open and fold back while the ramp was still closed? I realize this depends on the height of the trailer. Being able to leave the back windows open is high on my priority list, thought not higher than ramp/loading safety.

We ordered traction tape/strips from amazon and attached to our ramp. It feels like sand paper. It is not perfect as some has definitely come loose, however it greatly improved the traction on my sundowner ramp.

Hi! I have a 4 Star straight load. The top doors do fold back, just as my 5’ ramp did. The top doors are just smaller to offset the taller ramp. I’m not very tall, but I have no problem opening or closing the 6’ ramp.

1 Like

Great to know! Thanks!

There was no additional charge, either. I’m not sure if I remember this correctly…my trailer is a gooseneck w an electric jack (I have severe neck problems and this helps me). With the Jack and this ramp, one can almost remove all the slope in the ramp for an ambulance-type load.

https://www.amazon.com/Kempf-Backing-Various-Recessed-Entrances/dp/B076F16SHS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=13JEDQM3IJXLI&keywords=coco%2Bmat&qid=1673368927&sprefix=coco%2Bmat%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-10&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1

I ordered slightly bigger than the size of my ramp, cut it down and screwed it on

1 Like

Here’s a pic from the inside of my trailer

2 Likes

This is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for posting the pic!

1 Like