Unlimited access >

Small Farm: Skid Steer vs Tractor vs Quad vs?

So it looks like I might be making my horse farm dreams come true this year! :fireworks: We are looking at property in KY to have a small private place with 3-5 horses. My goal is to live in this farm until I die so I want to invest in setting it up efficiently to work smarter not harder. This includes the appropriate equipment to maintain the land and the horse facilities.

So what works best for a small farm? I’ve always worked on farms that had multiple pieces of equipment - often a Gator-type vehicle or quad as well as a tractor or skid steer. Do I really need both (or all :grimacing: ) for a small, private place? I will have an arena that will need to be dragged regularly, if that makes a difference.

For those that have a similar setup - what do you wish you knew before you dropped the big $$$ on equipment? Thanks!!

1 Like

We’ve found our JD 2320 very serviceable for all sorts of farm work, and use it to move things with the FEL, mow with a drive over deck, and have a variety of PTO driven 3 point attachments for the back. It might be a jack of all trades type thing–a dedicated zero turn mows faster, and a skid steer is probably a better loader–but as a single piece of equipment, it does the job and hasn’t ever let us down.

4 Likes

I think a tractor and some kind of utility vehicle are essential.

Equipment rentals super convenient and economical in my area. Check on that before buying a skid steer for sure

4 Likes

I don’t know how I managed before I was able to buy a tractor. I can use the front end loader for so many things and I would never buy a tractor without a loader. I only wished I had gotten a bigger one so that I could pick up the larger bales that weigh 700-800 pounds. If you are planning on feeding round bales you will need an even bigger tractor. You can do work arounds but that can be a pain. I have managed fine without a Gator and /or a skid steer. I probably could have used a skid steer for hay but maybe not enough to justify the purchase price.

One thing I DIDN’T do was realize how many trailers, equipment, and vehicles I was going to end up with. So you need to plan for barns, sheds, etc. to keep them out of the weather and plan for easy access to the equipment. Not like me where I have to remove 4 things to get to what I need.

5 Likes

I was in your position 10 years ago. The first thing I bought was a Deere 1025R subcompact tractor with front end loader, ballast box, and mid- mount mower. Within that year I added a PTO powered fertilizer spreader, which has saved me lots of money. I also bought pallet forks for the loader, which have almost been worth their weight in gold as far as being to move things around and to unload things fro delivery trucks at the street and move them into the barn.

I next bought a Kawasaki Mule 4010 and added a hydraulic dump bed. That was a game changer for odd jobs and picking manure.

After having a dressage arena built I bought an arena groomer. I went with one for the tractor vs the UTV and am happy I did. The little tractor is much more maneuverable than the Mule.

I would love to own a skid steer but for the occasional task on 5 acres it would be one additional piece of machinery to worry about maintaining. I have found it easier to hire out those jobs, since they only come up about once a year.

And you should consider also buying a tandem axle equipment trailer. Never know when the tractor or UTV will need transportation. I went with 16 feet and it is the shortest I’d go with for my tractor.

And with an equipment trailer, you will become very popular among other horse farm folks who don’t have a trailer of their own .

2 Likes

I have nine acres and I started with a compact tractor. It got used a lot at the beginning while building and finishing, but after that??

Once I got my zero turn, the tractor was only used to drag the arena, and that’s inefficient as hell. I sold it to my Dad who needed a tractor for his property he just bought and got a big 4-wheeler with a winch, and it’s possible to put a blade on the front if I want. Now I do have my Dad’s tractor back because we used it to scrap some mud back from the barn, but the cost of keeping and maintaining (or purchasing) a tractor, now that the farm is set up, it would be waaaaaay cheaper to rent.

Honestly at the beginning the tractor was used for landscaping and garden work more than horse facilities.

2 Likes

What do you do with manure? That’s probably the biggest, most consistent “horse” task we use our tractor for.

2 Likes

Wheel barrow for stalls and sacrifice paddock goes into the dump trailer, dump dump trailer weekly. Four wheeler and drag for paddocks. I’m considering a spreader to eliminate relying on someone to let me dump the dump trailer at their place, howeeeever… I think a three-bay composting bin might cost about the same.

We’ve got a three bin system, and it works really well for us. But does 100% need a loader to move stuff around, or pile it higher, so if you go that route, you might wind up with that tractor back from your dad! :grin:

3 Likes

This is what I have on our 12 acres. It works great and I use it daily for farm chores. I have the front end loader, brush hog, grader, rake, backhoe attachments.

We are getting the spreader this fall as we just redid our compost area this fall.

Between the tractor and zero turn, I’m fairly set and don’t need a 4 wheeler or mule.

1 Like

A tractor with a FEL is the most versatile piece of equipment. Most of the FELs are compatible with skid steer attachments. We also have a zero turn that speeds up mowing pastures. That’s it for equipment.

1 Like

We have 15 acres and just have a tractor with front loader and all the PTO attachments. I would love to have a UTV or golf cart, but it has not proven to be a necessary purchase yet. We have had to hire out a few occasional jobs to someone with a skid steer (mostly clearing dirt for arena and dry lot), but the cost has not been worth actually purchasing our own. The tractor is really handy for moving hay, spreading manure with the spreader, brush hogging fields, dragging arena, moving around rock and dirt, clearing snow, digging post holes for new fence, etc.

Agree with both of these suggestions.

1 Like

I use my UTV mainly for manure management. We all have different needs on our own farms.

My community has a central manure dump, from where the manure is loaded into dumpsters and trucked off site. It is 4 miles away from my farm. Before the UTV, I’d pick manure into buckets, then lift the buckets into my pickup bed, drive to the manure dump, lift the buckets down, and dump them. So I lifted and moved the same the manure three times.

Now I pick the manure directly into the UTV bed, drive to the dump, back up to the pile, push a button, the bed raises and dumps out the manure. Once the manure leaves the manure fork in the pasture or stalls, I don’t have to lift it again. I actually now have more miles on my UTV odometer than I do on the pickup truck that it replaced for manure hauling.

4 Likes

We have 52 acres and the only equipment we own is a Kawasaki Mule FX utility vehicle and a commercial size zero turn mower. We use the Mule every day for dumping manure, hauling hay, carrying tools for jobs such as fence maintenance or tree trimming, and just getting around the property. The lawnmower is hefty enough to mow the small field where I keep my two horses during the spring growing season. We hire out larger jobs such as bush hogging the larger pastures. We also rent out the pastures to a guy who runs cows 9 months of the year, and that helps keep the grass mowed. I rotate the horses through the pastures after the cows have been through them.

If I was going to buy one other piece of equipment, it would be a tractor with a bush hog and front end loader. So far though, I haven’t thought it worth the expense and maintenance hassle even though there are times when it would be nice to have.

Ohhhhh good point. Maybe he’ll want one on his land :laughing:

4WD tractor with FEL, and as many implements as you need. Bush hog for mowing pastures. Harrows or similar for riding ring footing, rototiller for your garden if you have one.

I would chose the tractor over other machines because it is so versitile. We have 14 acres, with about 11 in pasture, arena use. Tractor needs to be 4WD, have a quick hitch loader, to allow use of different attachments. Bucket and forks can achieve wonderful things! I pull a finish mower with it, because finish mower does a MUCH better job keeping fields and paddocks mowed smoothly. No bald places like the brush hog leaves on rolling ground. Get one with a side chute to prevent cut grass making windrows, killing grass they lay on like the rear-chute brush hog does. Brush hog is used outside the fences to cut brushy areas the neighbor has, to keep fences clean. We also have a small disk, landscape rake (very useful for a variety of jobs), arena groomer, chain harrow, the cone shaped spreader for grass seed or small amounts of fertilizer. Manure spreader is used daily. Tractor pulls loaded hay wagons as needed.

I do not compost because I NEED all the organic volume provided with spreading manure and sawdust bedding on my clay fields. Sawdust provides a bit of a mulching effect, protecting grass roots and soil from heat and erosion during heavy rains. The soil micro-organisms actually pull the matter down into the soil, making clay more absorbent, easier for plant roots to grow deeper. I spread on the horse pastures and paddocks spring and summer, drag them, then spread on the hayfield across the road after last hay cutting and all winter. Fields all show the benefit of being spread on.

We do have a skid steer with wheels, pretty much only used for deep snowfalls and moving gravel fill or crushed concrete to mud spots. Husband toy! Too heavy usually for driving on pastures or wet ground, would sink lIke a stone. It does not have the quick change front for changing bucket to other tools. We rent a skid steer for more power doing posts. Clay dirt won’t allow the tractor driven augers to dig AT ALL. Sold the augers we had, not useful here.

We have a Gator that my Mom won in a raffle! It gets winter use hauling hay to the feeders, but hay in tractor bucket would also work. Ground gets too bad, mud, frozen mud, deep ruts, to try carrying a couple bales out to each feeder by hand! It comes in handy for things, just would never have purchased one. Mostly works as a powered wheelbarrow, hauling tools to check/repair fences, water tanks I water field trees with in drought times, the fence weed sprayer to keep fences clean and HOT. Does save time moving stuff, just not an absolute essential like the tractor.

Get a tractor suitable for the jobs you need to do, not too big and CERTAINLY NOT one too small that will be working at it’s upper limits all the time. The little Kubota we have, 24HP, does an incredible job for us. It definately is the most used vehicle on the place! We do have other, bigger tractors now because we are making hay made off the other 11 acres I bought. But I did very well with all my other “horse farm” jobs using this tractor. The bigger tractors , 40 and 50Hp used mostly for hay equipment, are just too bulky for most of my horse farm jobs.

How small is “small?”

We got by without a tractor with FEL at our 4 acre farm, but that would be no fun at our 11 acre farm. :woman_shrugging:

And don’t buy tractor without 4 wheel drive!!! I can’t emphasize this enough! If you think you don’t need it check out my thread " Got my tractor stuck in the muck". 4 wheel drive won’t save you from everything but if I had not had it my tractor would be stuck in the pasture until July when everything dried out.

4 Likes