Unlimited access >

Small horses or ponies competing in eventing . .

I was looking at results of an event and one of the ponies was listed at 14.0 hands. Competing in novice and came in 2nd in a class of 16. I was just wondering how this far this pony could go.

Rolex, depending on the specific pony.

http://www.horsestarhalloffame.org/inductees/15/theodore_oconnor.aspx

11 Likes

Oh, yes. I forgot about Teddy.

Heā€™s not the only one

Hideawayā€™s Erin Go Braugh was another top eventing pony stallion! I loved watching him!

4 Likes

Someone on here a while back had a New Forest pony that had gone at least Prelim, maybe Intermediate?

1 Like

I know a kid who did prelim on her 13.2 hand pony. Our own is 14.3 hands and could easily handle prelim, but has only competed through training.

1 Like

Sinead Halpin and Forrest Nymph. They competed through the 2* level I think (current 3*).

3 Likes

My guy is a 14.2 Connie competing and placing well at training, schooling higher easily.

2 Likes

Lots & lots of them across the pond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PirM25QHUU

2 Likes

Courtney Sendakā€™s Wilā€™ya Love Me! Little palomino pony who went advanced a while back (early 2010s).

6 Likes

Purebred Connemara Stallion TBS Declan Pondi is 14.3 and competing at Training level
https://www.fadetogreyfarm.com/tbs-declan-pondi

2 Likes

There are a couple of pint sized Morgans out there eventing. They do not know that they are small!

4 Likes

The 12.2 welsh pony that introduced me to eventing regularly competed Training with a prior owner. He knew his job and we cleaned up BN and Novice, frequently winning our division (as long as I didnā€™t get in his way!)

Joke was you couldnā€™t see him approaching the XC fence until his little ears with knees on either side of his face appeared over the jump.

10 Likes

There are entire classes of 2*/3* ponies in Europe ridden by children. Ridden well at that lol

4 Likes

Thereā€™s an amazing pony stallion here in the UK who is competing at 3* this season with a very impressive record, and looking like he has the scope to go further. Heā€™s called Prometheus and has his own fb page. I saw him compete recently and he is absolutely WOW!

I used to follow a wee grey welshie called Lakevake Toyman who competed at 2* in either NZ or Aus. Iā€™m sure he was only 13.2. There was also a little coloured 13.3 who competed at 3* in the Czech Republic called Domino.

The Pony Trials competitions here are set at 2* level although ponies are supposed to be at least 142cm to compete at 100 level or above BE. I think there are some ā€˜little onesā€™ though.

And, if anyone has very deep pockets ā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not eventing but are folks aware the ponies abroad jump to heights well over the max height of any eventing level, on the regular.

1 Like

TBS Declan Pondi is a really cool pony! I have seen him jump around and I know someone that bred to him also!

1 Like

I enjoyed watching that!

1 Like

The Connemara stallion Greystone Creggan Winter won the An Tostal trophy and competed at Preliminary.