Unlimited access >

Small Interest in Flightline to Be Sold at Keeneland November Sale

2 Likes

I got that alert this morning. Thinking seven figures…it’ll be interesting!

It will be interesting, I agree. I wonder how many seasons come with that small share.

There is, as always some top quality bloodstock in the sale and this will make it even more interesting to watch.
Flay seems to like buying into small shares of horses that are already super race horses. I wonder if he’ll give it a go. He has some very good mares…

1 Like

I don’t get the point. I get the point of someone buying, I don’t get the point of why they are selling. Quick buck?

Why not? If the share includes breeding rights, might be a smart move to offer a breeder a chance to buy in early to secure a future spot.

He already has multiple owners, including West Point who is offering the share. Its a good business move.

1 Like

I thought the same thing. The only idea that come to mind was that they can find his 5 year old campaign, assuming that they bring him back. That, or the owners need or want a quick cash infusion.

I really don’t think that this offering is a sign of financial desperation. The owners of Flightline are certainly in a most advantageous financial position.

What a great opportunity for an owner or breeder of racehorses though. I wonder who will buy in?

2 Likes

Cross posted to Breeder’s Cup thread.

2 Likes

Interesting interview question on the TDN Writer’s Room posed to Bill Farish about the need to make clear in advance, to the buyer of the share of Flightline, whether the buyer will be purchasing a horse that will go directly to stud after the Breeder’s Cup, or a horse that will race next year. If I was spending what I think this share will bring, I’d certainly want to know.

Farish said that the owners of Flightline will decide on Sunday (the day after the Breeder’s Cup Classic and the day before the share is offered on Monday) in which direction they will take him. Cutting it a little close with only the race and the day after to go on, but whatever the outcome (barring catastrophe) someone will have a little share in a huge horse.

2 Likes