Unlimited access >

SmartFlex III Resilience vs. Recovery EQ Extra Strength

Does anyone have any experience with SmartFlex III Resilience or Recovery EQ Extra Strength? Thoughts on effectiveness?

The SmartFlex III Resilience is quite a bit cheaper but im wondering if Recovery is just a better product and worth the price?

I have an 11 y/o OTTB who retired sound a few years ago but was not put into hard work until a few months ago. Since then he has injured himself in the field a few times including a cut on a leg that needed stitches and stall rest. About a week after he had been back on his regular turn out I noticed some swelling in his left ankle. Called the vet and ultrasounds were done. He got a clean pass and they just told me to watch it but that with the amount of races he had put in he would probably just have things flare up every now and then. A few weeks later I noticed some thickening in the tendon area above the ankel so call the vet again. Again ultrasounds were done and the vet basically said the same thing and to take it easy starting him back into regular work and to watch it but he wasn’t worried. This is a very good vet from a very good clinic in KY so I trust him fully. My guy has never been lame on it but he does get stiff. My vet is still saying he will be fine to the low level eventing and 3ft jumpers that i bought him for as long as the ankle remains the same as training is increased.

Im just looking for something to keep him fluid and some extra support while I slowly bring him back this winter. Ive never fed a joint/tendon supplement before (besides MSM) so this is all new territory to me. Im not really too concerned about the price as long as the product is worth it. I spoke to a SmartPak rep and those were the 2 products they recommended but were pushing the Resilience obviously. Just wanted to know some other opinions!! Or are there other products you’d recommend other then those 2? Thanks!

I’ve used both, but not on the same horse. I would pick Smartflex Resilience over the Recovery. The price is better, it’s pelleted and there is a better chance the horse will eat it, and it has tendon specific ingredients. I have liked it and used it for the past 2 yrs on my horse who is now 12. He has an OCD lesion in the R stifle and had some general stiffness. He has received injections and the oral supplement is used ‘just in case’ but not to really be a treatment for anything.

I used Recovery on my older horse and did not notice a change. I put him back on the Smartflex Senior and always felt he did better on that.

I’ve been using the Smartflex Resilience for about 6 months on 2 different horses and have been very pleased with the improvements. One is 14, gets slight swelling in fetlocks and stiffness due to arthritis and is noticeably better on the supplement. The other one is a growthy 4 yr. old who has a touch of stifle stickiness while being butt high and is also much improved and more fluid in movement. I highly recommend the Smartflex.

Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and bought the Resilience. Just started him on it this Monday and so far he’s eating it right up. Obviously too soon to see a difference but im feeling confident!