Unlimited access >

SmartGI Ultra pellets

Anybody tried this supplement with their horse?

We have a horse who was treated with GastroGard in the past. I was thinking of trying SmartGut or SmartGut Ultra when I happened to come across the SmartGI Ultra.

I like the idea of combining the SmartGut and SmartDigest for both the stomach and hindgut - but it’s very expensive!

https://www.smartpakequine.com/smartgi-ultra-pellets--11920p

It’s Excellent…I’ve used it on a couple of mine with great success…it combines the stomach/foregut AND the hind gut …well worth it…plus it’s picky eater approved!

I bought this a while back. But after a month or 2 I switched to just the SmartDigest Ultra (the component that addresses the hindgut). I’m not convinced that anything given once/day (other than omeprazole) will prevent ulcers. Horses pump out stomach acid 24/7, unlike humans who mostly secrete acid at mealtimes. Anything designed to coat or absorb acid would have to be given 4-6 times/day around the clock to have an effect. With that said, I’ve also heard of people giving an antacid like Neighlox with each meal as part of a larger management effort to prevent ulcers. I guess what I’m saying is that for the money, I’m not convinced that the “Gut” part of it (the expensive part) is worthwhile.

My horse was on this exclusively (for months, and after being treated with omeprazole) and still managed to get both fore and hind gut ulcers again, recently.

So given the cost, no I don’t recommend it.