Unlimited access >

So....last week I did something crazy, and bought a.....

Mammoth Jenny Donkey. Am I nuts?!?! I have wanted a mammoth for many years, and when I saw EmmaKate’s ad, I knew I at least have to see her. She was owned by a nice man, who obviously loved her very much. I liked her when I saw her, but didn’t hand over the cash, until he got out a loaf of bread, and corn, for treats. It took the three of us, over an hour, and an act of God, to get her on the trailer, but finally she jumped on.

She’ll be 4 this July, so I am going super slow with her. She’s never even had to legs touched, much less hooves trimmed, but I am blown away with how fast she learns!!

Yesterday she wore a saddle for the first time, and and got all four feet picked out.

So, any other Mammoth owners? Is it worth getting her registered?

If you want to follow along on our adventures together, I started a blog. Here’s our latest post:

https://emmathedonkey.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/saddle-training-has-started/

She already has quite the following on Social Media!

She’s adorable! Congratulations!

I don’t usually say this, but you should consider breeding her to a Mammoth jack at some point (or points :D). The breed is listed as “critical” by The Livestock Conservancy. They need every bit of help they can get to ensure the breed doesn’t disappear.

Absolutely, positively get her registered. It will make sure she is counted in livestock-breed censuses (is that a word?) to track declining and recovering populations, and it will put you in touch with other Mammoth breeders.

12 Likes

Of all the things I was expecting, a mammoth jenny was not it!
congratulations. My totally ordinary run of the mill mutt donk is a delight and a pleasure. Unless you are a stray dog or a coyote. Then he’s a terror.

2 Likes

She is adorable. My neighbor has a Mammoth Jack but he is about twice as big as your girl. He’s huge, towers over
the 15 hand Arab. Wildly colored and you can hear him for miles.:yes:

1 Like

She is fantastic! I love that photo you have of her “smiling”.

Thanks! I’m pretty smitten with her! I have thought about breeding her on down the road, but unfortunately she’s pretty cow hocked/base narrow (not really sure which,) :/. She’s still got some growing to do, as she’s only 3, so, we’ll see. For now, I’m just having a blast with her. She learns so quickly!!!

1 Like

I really enjoyed reading…in addition to being a good hand with that donkey, you write very well

1 Like

Chiming in to say that I love donkeys! It is my dream to one day have a little place where I can have one. Will happily read about yours in the meantime. How can you not love those ears?!?!?!

Yay! I have a mammoth jenny too, and so does my husband. Ours are a few years older than yours, we love them to pieces! If she meets the registry criteria, it never hurst to register, especially since mammoths are on the livestock conservation list as critical. I think the registry is in a “state of flux” right now, but it looks ot be settling into good hands in the near future.

She is super cute! I’d never get anything done if I had one.

Thanks all! She’s still doing well, although she’s still pissed off at me, from the vet coming out last month, to do shots, and teeth. It took an insane amount of Tranquilizer, but her teeth were pretty bad. He pulled her Wolf teeth which were monsters.

It’s been pretty slow since then, and some days she won’t even let me get near her, but I keep telling myself that slow and steady wins the race!

2 Likes

I imagine these are used to breed those big mules the Amish used for work, no? Those things were HUGE!

When I lived in an area with Amish neighbors, their pasture bordered the property I was on. The people I was staying with showed dogs and one of the house dogs was an Irish Wolfhound. Great dog, but he did like to chase the cows, no matter how his owner disciplined him. One day he took off and went into the pasture. However the neighbors had put the work mules in it. He ran up to one and got a double barreled kick! :eek: Fortunately it seemed to catch him mid-flight and rolled him, avoiding serious injury. Never chased livestock again!

1 Like

Oh she’s adorable.

Congratulations! She is an adorable doll!