Unlimited access >

So things aren't great with our animals (updated with new kitty Gracie)

I’m glad you have a reprieve. It’s funny how they rally sometimes. It’s like they want just a little extra time with the people they love.

2 Likes

Update: keeping Visitor eating is more difficult now. He’s on 2 appetite stimulants, gets fluids every 3 days or so, etc. He’s reasonably ok on a day to day level, but obviously declining now. He will drink milk and eat a little tuna, a few hairball treats here and there, occasionally licks up some of the wet food slurry we are putting out for him. He seems hungry but won’t eat most things more than once.

Our hospice vet friend is coming on Tuesday. May be a clinical visit, may be a euthanasia. Not sure yet.

From reading comments, I see that I’m not alone in having a bunch of elderly beasties, and getting an up close and personal look at mortality. It seems like none of ours may be with us by the end of the year.

8 Likes

I’m sorry. It’s so difficult when we have to let them go.
Someone said “grief is the price we pay for love”. I’ve found that be very true, yet life is so much brighter with them around for the time we do get to have them.

Hugs to you and yours.

I’m so sorry. Hugs and jingles for you both.

When the time comes, you will both know it.

1 Like

I would almost have them pass suddenly than watch them fail slowly. It breaks my heart. But all we can do is put one foot in front of the other and do our best for them and let them know how much we love them.

Give Visitor a gentle hug from me. and a big hug from me to you. Stay strong. You’re not alone.

2 Likes

Thank you all… He’s on the bed with me, snuggled up against my legs and purring, very content.

11 Likes

I have 4 cats (ages 9 - 16). I have been to the vet 4 times in the past week with the 2 oldest ones. At the moment, they seem to be doing better. Hopefully it will last and I’ll get a break for a little while. Because most of them are pretty close in age, I knew the day would come when they would start having problems and I would start losing them. That day is here.

I hope Visitor keeps doing OK and hanging in there. I’ll be thinking about you on Tuesday.

1 Like

I had the question loom over me after Christmas. Thankfully my kitty turned around.

I found that she really likes ‘Delectables Squeeze up’ treats. A tuna paste in a little tube, like gogurt or those little peanutbutter things. At first she did not know what to do with them, so I squirted some on her paws. After that she about ate the tube from my hand.

Sending my best vibes to Visitor.

(PS this is about the only Hartz product I do endorse…I am sure it is not healthy, but a sometimes food…)

2 Likes

Visitor would probably like that. One of the things he will eat, mostly, is Greenies Hairball Treats.

1 Like

Hugs to you on this difficult journey. I also have ancient critters and it is really tough.

We have a saying in our profession when clients are faced with these decisions…………”don’t let the last day of his life be the worst day of his life.”

You will know the time……enjoy every hour/day until that moment. :cry:

4 Likes

Ah yes…crack for kitties. That and those Temptations treats. :laughing:

2 Likes

Horrible quality photo, but just took this of us. It’s making me cry.

19 Likes

Visitor left us at 11:59 a.m.

Hospice vets are a wonderful thing. It helped that this one is also a friend.

18 Likes

Thinking of you and DH and Visitor today. So sorry. It sucks to lose them.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. It never gets easier, especially with those that just curl up in our hearts and stay there.

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss of your beloved Visitor. May his spirit curl around you and keep you warm. Hugs

5 Likes

So sorry for you today. May sweet Visitor RIP.

1 Like

That picture is making you cry now, but when things aren’t so sad and raw you’ll be glad that you have it. It’s a beautiful picture.

I’m so sorry about Visitor. Wishing you peace and comfort. :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad his passing could be peaceful and surrounded by love.

1 Like

May you soon find the peace you granted him.

1 Like