Unlimited access >

So...What Are the Grooms' Quarters Like Now?

It’s day 4; I’ve been wondering if the grooms’ quarters ever got rearranged, or are they staying in dozens of bunk beds in tents?

Yes, please. Someone tell us how the groom situation is doing now. Thanks!

I hope the tent holds. This is local forecaster in Florida who is NOT one who exaggerates. Headed directly towards the WEG. Slow moving storm, all rain estimates are fluctuating. https://www.facebook.com/denisphillipswfts/photos/a.143758032351345/1981198971940566/?type=3&theater

I certainly hope they aren’t still in tents. FB is blocked at work so I can’t open fair judy’s link.

This was posted a few days ago. I certainly hope nobody is still in a tent in this weather!

http://dressage-news.com/2018/09/09/additional-housing-for-world-equestrian-games-grooms-being-installed-at-tryon/

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pi…-NOUS42-PNSGSP

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC 1117 AM EDT FRI SEP 14 2018 …INCREASED THREAT OF LANDSLIDES AND DEBRIS FLOWS ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS THIS WEEKEND… FLORENCE WILL BRING HEAVY RAIN TO THE WESTERN CAROLINAS SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY. THE HEAVY RAIN IS EXPECTED TO RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT FLOODING ALONG CREEKS AND STREAMS. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF EIGHT TO TWELVE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS TO 15 INCHES ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE ESCARPMENT FROM HENDERSON AND POLK COUNTIES NORTHWARD INTO AVERY AND CALDWELL COUNTIES, NORTH CAROLINA. ISOLATED LANDSLIDES ARE LIKELY WITH RAINFALL TOTALS OF SIX TO TEN INCHES, WITH GREATER COVERAGE IF RAINFALL TOTALS EXCEED THAT LEVEL. AREAS THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED RECENT LANDSLIDE ACTIVITY MAY BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO ADDITIONAL LANDSLIDES. LANDSLIDES, INCLUDING FAST-MOVING DEBRIS FLOWS CONSISTING OF WATER, MUD, FALLING ROCKS, TREES, AND OTHER LARGE DEBRIS, ARE MOST LIKELY WITHIN SMALL VALLEYS THAT DRAIN STEEP SLOPES. LANDSLIDES ARE POWERFUL AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY, CAPABLE OF WASHING OUT ROADS, BRIDGES, AND HOMES. PEOPLE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO LANDSLIDES SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE DANGER AND BE PREPARED TO ACT. HERE ARE RECOMMENDED ACTIONS TO CONSIDER BOTH AHEAD OF THE STORM AND WHEN THE HEAVY RAIN BEGINS.

WEG is in POLK county and has already experienced slides. This is a NOAA announcement. Those who are saying ONLY six inches had best re-evaluate .

Eeee. That sounds grim. I hope the cross country course doesn’t end up with a lot more water jumps than they planned. :eek:

The competition might be the least of their worries. I sincerely hope not, but the forecast looks grim.

I was just at the WEG for 2 days. Teams have arranged for their own grooms’ housing, mostly off site. However, 2-3 of the tents are still there, and people are clearly staying in them. There are trailers with showers and bathrooms next to them, and air conditioning in them. Don’t know about lights. They are just bunk beds, but I don’t know how many people are in them. That was the situation when I left last night. I don’t know where they will be going during the storm.

3 Likes

^ Thanks for the first hand report!

I hope someone will step up to help whomever is staying in the tents during the storm. I 'm sure someone will. Not counting on WEG management to do so…

1 Like

As MHM said: “Thanks for the first hand report!” I appreciate that.

The tents are for overflow. Grooms are either being put up in hotels or in rvs. American eventing grooms are in nice rvs per the groom I spoke with.

That’s good to know. I can’t help but be concerned for the “overflow” folks though, not that being in an RV is a good situation especially if the upper end of the rainfall possibility occurs.

Thinking of all who are there and hoping the storm passes you by with the least amount trouble.

1 Like

Well I’m technically evacuated from Wilmington so my biggest question is how long I hang out and possibly get more tickets to events next week pending power restoration at home.

Technically evacuated or not, I’m glad you are not on the coast. I hope your home, friends and family are safe and that you are able to get your tickets. You are likely to, don’t you think?

Looking at the NOAA info I think you might have some time to enjoy the WEG. :frowning:
There is an awful lot of road flooding and damage that might make traveling difficult.

Or if you wanted to volunteer, you could probably pick your spot. I’ll bet a lot of the planned volunteers won’t be able to get there.

2 Likes

The tents are only overflow because the teams stepped up and found housing for their grooms. The housing offered on the grounds was nowhere near enough for the number of grooms arriving. And what exactly is, overflow??? What person is so unimportant that they don’t need proper housing while they are at a competition? I was a big supporter of Bellissimo until I went to the games and saw some of the unnecessary building that was done instead of making sure the grooms had housing. For one thing, they rented out the little cabins to Summit Club members (the VIP club) for $12,000 for 2 weeks, instead of housing grooms in them! This is not hearsay, this is first hand knowledge. That’s when I got disgusted with the WEG organization’s choices.

4 Likes

Are you talking about the one bedroom cabins?

Yes. You can fit between 4-6 people in them.