Unlimited access >

So who were the other two?

divasgroom -
Dollars to doughnuts, yup. I just figured I’d get confirmation from the tickertape on his forehead next time I see him that he really does lurk here. :wink: In which case of course he’s “a fairly reputable source, sir!”

When reading an article on Beale Wright Morris (who sadly died of the flu a couple years ago) in PH a long long time ago, I remember that the article noted that Beale’s mother being one of the first women to ride on an Olympic 3 Day team.

Is Lana DuPont Wright the mother of the Beale? A quick google search gave me this: http://oldfieldsschool.net/community/equestrian/readmore.asp?id=82823

So, I’m thinking it’s not a coincidence of names. My vote is that it’s Lana Dupont Wrght is the other woman.

I would have been steamed to have been passed over because of gender. I bet they were too!

Different question.

Lana DuPont is the answer to the question “Who was the first woman to ride for the US team in Eventing ?” - in1964

But the question is “who were the women who qualified for, but did not ride for, the US team in Eventing in 1958?”

Weatherford, why were they running a qualifier in 58 when the Olympics were in 60?

[QUOTE=Fence2Fence;2832799]
When reading an article on Beale Wright Morris (who sadly died of the flu a couple years ago) in PH a long long time ago, I remember that the article noted that Beale’s mother being one of the first women to ride on an Olympic 3 Day team.

Is Lana DuPont Wright the mother of the Beale? A quick google search gave me this: http://oldfieldsschool.net/community/equestrian/readmore.asp?id=82823

So, I’m thinking it’s not a coincidence of names. My vote is that it’s Lana Dupont Wrght is the other woman.

I would have been steamed to have been passed over because of gender. I bet they were too![/QUOTE]

A bit of interesting reading:

Note she had two falls on course and the horse completed after the first fall with a broken jaw!!!

http://www.equiery.com/archives/octart02.htm

Janet, the 1958 qualifier was for the 1959 Pan Am Games.

If you go to the history section on the USEA website (or my message above, where I quoted it), you can read more about it.

Got it. Thanks.

When was SECOND woman on the US team- after Lana DuPont in 64? I am pretty sure there weren’t any women on the Mexico City team. What about Montreal?

[QUOTE=Janet;2833001]
Got it. Thanks.

When was SECOND woman on the US team- after Lana DuPont in 64? I am pretty sure there weren’t any women on the Mexico City team. What about Montreal?[/QUOTE]

Maryanne Tauskey and of course:

Miss Bally Cor (if that counts)

1 Like

I still want to know who were those women who were NOT selected in 1958. So back to the OP. Who were these finishers?

Reed

2 or 3 unknown women?

The original quoted material says that the selection committee went down to 5th place to get their man, which means that 3 women were passed over. One was Mrs. Davis, leaving 2 to identify. It also says that "Mrs. Davis and the next 3 finishers (all women) . . . " which suggests that we should be trying to figure out who the other 3 women are.

GOOD ARTICLE, THANKS!

That’s a lovely;) article, htanks for posting!:yes:

GOOD ARTICLE, THANKS!

That’s a lovely;) article, thanks for posting!:yes:

[QUOTE=snoopy;2832898]
A bit of interesting reading:

Note she had two falls on course and the horse completed after the first fall with a broken jaw!!!

http://www.equiery.com/archives/octart02.htm[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was interesting! I think she’s made out of iron!

I think Jeanette might have the right info - but, while Trish Galvin was my HEROINE (one of them anyway, and why I was interested in Dressage in the 60’s) I didn’t realize she had evented first.

Wait, this is the CHRONICLE! Isn’t there someone at the Office who can check the results of that event from 1958?

I was always told that the Miss Galvin married some cousin of mine - but, of course, that is the side of the family I don’t know… :rolleyes:

By thinking it might be Lana (duPont Wright), you are making her MUCH older than she is!! I don’t think that is very nice!!! :wink:

I thought that at first too.

There are two women that were looked over. Taken from previous posts.

1st: Lithuanian, not eligible
2nd: Georganna “Georgie” Prime Davis
3rd: ? Patricia Galvin
4th: ? Marion Ritchie or Jan Karabin
5th: selected for Games

1 Like

[QUOTE=fooler;2829678]

All it states is that civilian men and women were allowed to complete in Olympic equestrian events beginning in 1952 - no specific displine noted. So I guess one could infer that men and women began competing in all 3 recognized displines in 1952. Badly stated paragraph.[/QUOTE]

It is possible that the rules changed in 1952, but it took a longer for national selectors to be willing to send a woman. Senior sports bureaucrats today are often 80 year old ex athletes with good family connections. I have no difficulty imagining that they were not the most progressive of people in 1952.

I found this:

“Women have long been active in equestrian competition, but were not admitted to the Olympics until 1952 in dressage, until 1956 in jumping and until 1964 in the 3-day event.”

1 Like

Okay… I spoke with my cousin Donnan Sharp today. She was at the TEAM in 1962 and she says that she has no idea who they would be as it was held in Colorado which at that time was like saying it was held in China! She said the East coast riders back then really had no idea who most of the riders were on the west coast or about what was going on out there because it wasn’t like it is today where the riders went back and forth alot to compete and their really were no results pages etc. (obviously she went out there if she was origionally from NY but no one I have spoken to so far knew who she was…so more mystery).
She did suggest maybe asking Jimmy Wofford as he is quite the history buff. Otherwise we need to find a rider from the west coast from around then which could prove difficult. Another way would be to try to find it in the Chronicle archives because there must have been something written about it.
The other tid bit of info I got was that eventing was very much still geared towards military and very shovanistic (sp?) back then which was one of the reasons she ended up going into Dressage.

Oh and it wasn’t Lana … before her time.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Janet;2833001]
When was SECOND woman on the US team- after Lana DuPont in 64? I am pretty sure there weren’t any women on the Mexico City team. What about Montreal?[/QUOTE]
Referencing the appendex of The U.S. Equestrian Team Book of Riding," after the '64 Games was the
'67 Pan Am Games in Winnipeg Can. w/ Plumb, Page, Jim Wofford, Eckhardt
'68 Olympics in Mexico City w/ Page, Wofford, Plumb, Freeman
No Pan Ams listed here between 68 and 72 Olympics
'72 Olympics in Munich, W Germany w/ Freeman, Davidson, Plumb, Wofford
'75 Pan Ams in Mexico City w/ Coffin, Davidson, *Beth Perkins, *Mary Anne Tauskey

So the answer to “Who were the 2nd and 3rd women to represent the U.S.?” is Beth Perkins and Mary Anne Tauskey (don’t know if Coffin’s Bally Cor was the first mare or not…)

Isn’t there a “Sporting Library” in Virginia that would know?

1 Like

don’t know if Coffin’s Bally Cor was the first mare or not…

Nope. Jenny Camp competed at the 1932 and 1936 Olympics. I don’t know if she was the first but she’s probably the best-known.

I would think the Chronicle has the answer to the OP’s question in their archives. It may have even appeared again in one of their “A Look Back” sections.

1 Like