Unlimited access >

So who were the other two?

[QUOTE=JER;2835453]
Nope. Jenny Camp competed at the 1932 and 1936 Olympics. I don’t know if she was the first but she’s probably the best-known.[/QUOTE]
Of course! For years one of the divisions of the Tennessean H.T. (now MTPC) was the Jenny Camp Division. Miss Warden on occassion used a Jenny Camp question on the test for her Horse Knowledge Classes at various schooling shows…

1 Like

Wofford should be a good source.
If anyone knows Hilda Gurney, she may know. It was before her eventing time (mid-1960’s), but she may have trained with one of the ladies of the 1950’s.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl;2829449]
I emailed a fairly reputable source who suggests it was Patricia Galvin who was third, and either Marion Ritchie or Jan Karabin was 4th.
Galvin apparently went on to ride on the 1960 dressage team.

The “Polish professional” mentioned in the obituary was actually Lithuanian, and was my first riding instructor (and Kim Severson’s I’m told), Jonas Irbinskas.

I often read obituaries like this and think it would be great if they ran a couple years earlier, before the person died, so there could be an opportunity for us to meet these interesting elders. Wouldn’t that be cool?[/QUOTE]

who is still using that win 40 years ago as a selling point for his training business…

1 Like

We might still need the definitive answer, but divasgroom and I both emailed Jim Wofford and got the Trish Galvin, was 3rd, and Marion Richie or Jan Karabin was 4th answer, so we’re pretty close.

Laura, when I was in Tucson (around’73) there was a clipping somewhere in one of the tackrooms about a team or tour Jonas did get to participate in, but it was hardly the first thing you saw. I got a really solid basis there - the kind of education we all say we want riders to get, we rode out in the open, we jumped coops in and out of the ring, we did dressage (in 1973!)
A year or so ago when I checked his website, I didn’t see any mention of ancient accomplishments.
I recently learned that Jonas was the first competitor ( in the States, I guess?) to compete more than one horse Advanced at one horse trial. Shall we blame him for the demise of the long format, while we’re dredging things up? I’m not saying he’s beyond criticism, but it seems oddly out of left field to toss your snark in here.

[QUOTE=JER;2835453]
I would think the Chronicle has the answer to the OP’s question in their archives. It may have even appeared again in one of their “A Look Back” sections.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like this would make an excellent “Look Back” for the Chronicle - next year on the fiftieth anniversary. Think of it - how eventing has changed - all male to (nearly) all female. (Pace, Reed & Gnep).

1 Like

Because I like trivia, I did a search in the NY Times archive. They had articles on the first two days but not the final results. The final day of the event was Aug 31, 1958 and there was no mention of the final standings in the Sept 1 edition. There were 39 entries in the competition and 21 remained after Day 2.

The standings going into SJ were as follows:

1. Jonas Irbinskas
  2. J.E.B. Wofford
  3. Mrs. R.G. Rolofson (of Colorado Springs)
  4. Mrs. David M. Davis (Aurora, CO)
  5. Camille Stahl (Monterey, CA)
  6. Sandra Phipps (Denver)
  7. Michael Plumb
  8. William Haggard
  9. Walter Staley
  10. Ernie Simard

Other women in the top 20:
13. Claudia Frisbie (Pebble Beach)
15. Marion Ritchie (Colorado Springs)
18. Renette Finley (Colorado Springs)

So there are the names. But who were they?

1 Like

There is a little write up about the founding of the original USEA, on the USEA website and a list of people who attended that meeting, their are just a few ladies on that list and I would suggest that at least one of them is one of the mystery women.

Since I thought it rather intersting to read in this threat that women had been barred till that late, I looked up when they realy showed up and started to kick our male butts.

1964 Liselotte Linsenhof with the dressage team, Gold and Marion Coakes with an individual silver in Jumping. So Marion Coakes is the first woman that won a individual medal in any equestrian sport.

The real butt kicker was 1988 in Dressage, 1-3 all women, the Canadian Team all women got bronce, first all women team to win a medal ( I did not know canadians could ride dressage, I know they got the Stamped and do chuck wagon races, but dressage ? wow )

1 Like

[QUOTE=Gnep;2835825]

The real butt kicker was 1988 in Dressage, 1-3 all women, the Canadian Team all women got bronce, first all women team to win a medal ( I did not know canadians could ride dressage, I know they got the Stamped and do chuck wagon races, but dressage ? wow )[/QUOTE]

Ah but they can ride dressage!!! That is the galling thing. There is some real talent there…just no funding to get better as some other countries have.
They were very competitive eventers back in the 70’s/80’s but again, they have had some problems in this area as well.

Infact the canadian system is not too shabby…but politics and money have left them to the history books. It is too bad. Our northern neighbours are not to be sniffed at.

We really did kick some butt in 78, eh?

[QUOTE=sumatra;2835933]
We really did kick some butt in 78, eh?[/QUOTE]

MY darling…you have returned!!! And how funny, saw you on “the video” a few days ago!!:wink:

Sorry, been lurking (way too much fun), which video??? Anyhow, one of the other obits on the same page as the OP was my dad’s, please read, he did a lot for the sport in the start up years.

[QUOTE=sumatra;2836039]
Sorry, been lurking (way too much fun), which video??? Anyhow, one of the other obits on the same page as the OP was my dad’s, please read, he did a lot for the sport in the start up years.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was very sorry to hear of his passing. I will read it…and I hope everyone knows just HOW much he did for the sport.

Patricia Galvin competed in the 1957 Wofford Cup but her name was not in the standings for the 1958 WC.

Going back to the OP, we know Irbinskas won and Georgie Davis was 2nd. The three other women in the top 6 going into SJ were Mrs. R. G. Rolofson, Camille Stahl and Sandra Phipps.

There is a Marissa Rolofson from Colorado Springs, born in 1936, who is married to a Robert G. Rolofson.

Camille Stahl is now Camille Stahl Penhoet and is on the board of the Monterey Horse Park project. She operates a dressage facility called Toyon Farm in Napa.

Sandra Phipps married jumper rider/trainer/judge Wilson Dennehy and now goes by Sandy Dennehy.

So two of these three women are The Other Two.

1 Like

Sumatra, Sorry for your loss.

Ron Trickett gave him a great tribute at the Horse Trials BC AGM the day after his passing. Many BC eventers remember him well and truly appreciated what he did for the sport.

I grew up to stories from my Dad about eventing in the “old days” - he was one of the volunteers your Dad shipped from BC to the '76 Games.

Hey! I resemble that comment… (cowboy hats are fairly common at Western Canadian dressage shows…). The Ontarians would be horrified.

You have to remember that we also have a much smaller population - only about 33million as compared to 10x that in the US. 82million in Germany. Holland has 16million, but we’re just not gonna talk about that. :winkgrin:

The problem is that we just don’t have the depth in any equestrian sport, or the system to create it. :no: We’ll do great for a few years (remember SJ back in the days of Monopoly and Big Ben??), but when the “greats” move on, there’s rarely someone to take their place.

Where ever you looked it up, it is wrong - Marion Mould Coakes (on the biuonic pony, Stroller) was Silver (in a jump-off with Bill Steinkraus) in 1968 (Mexico City)… ABC Sports carried it, and I was GLUED to that old B&W TV set. (NOW THERE is a film I would LOVE to have!!!)

I used to think Lana was the trailblazer for women in Eventing Olympics, but, it appears one of the British women (don’t ask me who) went in 1960. Need to double check, as I’d always thought the former.

So, who ARE these women who competed then NOW? And, where are they? What can they tell us?? (That would make a WONDERFUL series for the COTH - an article a week by one of these women!!)

WOW - great research, JER! (How DO you get into the NYTimes archive? Is there a NY Herald Tribune online?)

THANKS!!!

[QUOTE=Weatherford;2836342]
Where ever you looked it up, it is wrong - Marion Mould Coakes (on the biuonic pony, Stroller) was Silver (in a jump-off with Bill Steinkraus) in 1968 (Mexico City)… ABC Sports carried it, and I was GLUED to that old B&W TV set. (NOW THERE is a film I would LOVE to have!!!)

I used to think Lana was the trailblazer for women in Eventing Olympics, but, it appears one of the British women (don’t ask me who) went in 1960. Need to double check, as I’d always thought the former.

So, who ARE these women who competed then NOW? And, where are they? What can they tell us?? (That would make a WONDERFUL series for the COTH - an article a week by one of these women!!)[/QUOTE]

Shelia Wilcox (British) - she won Badmington at least twice and was poised to be the 1st woman in the Olympic 3Day. Unfortunately she had a fall, never heard the particulars, that left her in a wheelchair. She wrote a well known book about training the 3day horse, I have a copy at home. She also coached individuals and teams, don’t know her current status.

1 Like

BHS link for some more info on Sheila Wilcox - she won Badminton 3 years in a row
http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Ods-More.asp?id=2046&pg=Information&spg=News&area=9

1 Like

If you go to the NY Times home page, you’ll see the search box at the top of the page under the masthead. The search menu is defaulted to “NYT Archive Since 1981” but if you drop the menu down, the next selection is “NYT Archive 1851-1980”. The archives are PDFs of microfiche but very readable.

If you’re a Times subscriber (like me), you can get 100 articles a month for no charge. If you’re not a subscriber, there are different pricing plans.

The IHT Archive goes back to 1991. Most major newspapers don’t go back more than about 15-20 years and some only go to 2000 or so. I find this very disappointing as it’s such a valuable research tool and can’t be very expensive to maintain.

We’ve also had success telephoning papers and talking to their archives, especially to find photos. My SO found some 1969 photos of his young self with Jimi Hendrix (!!!) this way. There is nothing cooler than being able to show your friends a photo of you and Jimi Hendrix.

1 Like