Unlimited access >

So who were the other two?

I knew Bob Rolofson and his kids! I still see his son around. They are not in the horses so much. Thier daughter did the jumpers for awhile. We all rode with Dion Dana and Louise McConnell.

Sandra Phipps (daughter of Gerald Phipps) became Sandy Dennehy and still goes in the A/O hunters. My mom is always competing against her.

Reed

[QUOTE=JER;2835804]
Because I like trivia, I did a search in the NY Times archive. They had articles on the first two days but not the final results. The final day of the event was Aug 31, 1958 and there was no mention of the final standings in the Sept 1 edition. There were 39 entries in the competition and 21 remained after Day 2.

The standings going into SJ were as follows:

1. Jonas Irbinskas
  2. J.E.B. Wofford
  3. Mrs. R.G. Rolofson (of Colorado Springs)
  4. Mrs. David M. Davis (Aurora, CO)
  5. Camille Stahl (Monterey, CA)
  6. Sandra Phipps (Denver)
  7. Michael Plumb
  8. William Haggard
  9. Walter Staley
  10. Ernie Simard

Other women in the top 20:
13. Claudia Frisbie (Pebble Beach)
15. Marion Ritchie (Colorado Springs)
18. Renette Finley (Colorado Springs)

So there are the names. But who were they?[/QUOTE]

1 Like

[QUOTE=Gnep;2835825]
There is a little write up about the founding of the original USEA, on the USEA website and a list of people who attended that meeting, their are just a few ladies on that list and I would suggest that at least one of them is one of the mystery women.

Since I thought it rather intersting to read in this threat that women had been barred till that late, I looked up when they realy showed up and started to kick our male butts.

1964 Liselotte Linsenhof with the dressage team, Gold and Marion Coakes with an individual silver in Jumping. So Marion Coakes is the first woman that won a individual medal in any equestrian sport.

The real butt kicker was 1988 in Dressage, 1-3 all women, the Canadian Team all women got bronce, first all women team to win a medal ( I did not know canadians could ride dressage, I know they got the Stamped and do chuck wagon races, but dressage ? wow )[/QUOTE]

I believe Pat Smythe was the first woman to compete in the Olympics in Show Jumping (Rome, 1960), but I can’t recall whether the British Team medaled?? I think David Broome got individual bronze, but can’t remember how the British team did.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Sandy M;2837426]
I believe Pat Smythe was the first woman to compete in the Olympics in Show Jumping (Rome, 1960), [/QUOTE]

Pat Smythe took home team bronze in the 1956 Olympics in Stockholm. She was riding the wonderful Flanagan. Photo here.

The first woman to win an individual medal in the Olympics was Denmark’s Lis Hartel in dressage in 1952 (Helsinki). She took another individual silver in 1956.

1 Like

Another minor correction: Marion Mould’s great pony Stroller won the silver medal in jumping at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics.

(I have her book on Stroller.)

1 Like

[QUOTE=Gnep;2835825]
and Marion Coakes with an individual silver in Jumping. So Marion Coakes is the first woman that won a individual medal in any equestrian sport.

The real butt kicker was 1988 in Dressage, 1-3 all women, the Canadian Team all women got bronce, first all women team to win a medal ( I did not know canadians could ride dressage, I know they got the Stamped and do chuck wagon races, but dressage ? wow )[/QUOTE]

Marion Coakes won her medal on a pony called Stroller - Mrs. KS lived in the same area (UK New Forest) and was always coming in second to them (when they were all about 12 years old).

I’ve met one of the Canadian Bronze medallists, Gina Smith, and a more non-DQ rider you couldn’t meet. In Canada you must wait & get your ribbons in riding dress at the end of the show so Gina turns up win full regalia. The organisers ask her if she wants to get her ribbons early but she declines and says to let the juniors get theirs first - a real classy lady!

That’s not to say the stampede doesn’t come out - ever seen a dozen PSG horses taking the “victory gallop” literally? The Canadian YRs challenged the US team at Windedge one summer - it’s scary!

1 Like

THis has been the best COTH thread ever!

1 Like

Alexander Mackay-Smith’s history chapter in the USCTA BOOK OF EVENTING (a lovely gem that I recently rediscovered on my bookshelf) suggests that Lana was the only woman at the 1960 Olympics.

At the Tokyo Olympics, women participated in the three-day event for the first time. The sole woman entry, Lana DuPont, was a member of the U.S. team. Although she fell, she finished the event, thereby making Olympic history. Of course, women had previously and convincingly demonstrated their ability to compete on equal terms with men in many of Europe’s toughest and most prestigious competitions. The well-known English rider, Sheila Willcox, had won the European Championships at Copenhagen in 1957 and had also won at Badminton in 1957, 1958, and 1959. (p. 18)

Another bit of trivia: Jonas Irbinskas won the Wofford Trophy competition twice, in both 1957 and 1958. He was the barn manager for Mrs. J. W. Wofford, and he rode two of her horses to the victories, Tingling and Passach (p. 16).