Unlimited access >

Soapy water vs fleet enema for foals?

Is there a preference for one over the other? Just wondering which is better for helping a foal pass the meconium.

If using a soapy water enema what type of soap is used? Ivory Dishwashing detergent?

My vet recommends a soapy enema and says never to use Fleet. I have no experience and did not ask why…he got a text from an owner while looking at a lame horse. Perhaps check w your vet? I know there are others here who will be able to help you.

We use one Fleet enema and if additional enemas are needed later then switch to soapy water (yes, with Ivory).

1 Like

Have never had Fleet not work perfectly, soon after use.

1 Like

When I worked in the NICU of a vet hospital, our doctors had a strong preference for soapy water and never fleet. I really can’t remember why.

1 Like

Same. The rationale against multiple fleet enemas is the saline can throw off the electrolyte balance and lead to dehydration and irritation. Soapy enemas (prefer ivory liquid) are what my vet recommends. Years ago I seem to remember glycerine/mineral oil enemas available, but now saline is what you find.

That makes sense. Thanks for jogging my memory.

We always did the same at home and at places I worked, using Fleet when needed at home but switching to ivory soap if the vet was needed.