Unlimited access >

SoCal relo to Lexington / Boston area - boarding suggestions?

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“small”,“data-attachmentid”:10312145}[/ATTACH] i am relocating due to job change. I have 4TBs ( 2 older geldings & 2 mares). I am looking for a low key boarding situation w trail access. I mostly trail ride but like to do local / schooling shows. Would like to stay within 30 min to Lexington Mass. I’m hoping not to pay more for my boarding than I do my mortgage-lol! Any suggestions?

CF171840-E2B3-402B-8093-1B501C486CFE.jpeg

www.equinesite.com is a New England based forum, you may have luck there finding options…

1 Like

Equinesite, join/email out on the Pony Club/Lochiatto email list (lochiattotwins at gmail.com), prepare to (probably) spend more than you think you’re going to, and expect to split them up.

4 spots at the same barn in that area will be really tough, especially if you’re on a “budget”. I can’t think of any places off the top of my head that would be the right fit and also have space for 4 at any give time. I’ve spent my entire horsey life directly in that area, so if you end up providing more details about what you’re looking for amenities wise, and whether splitting the herd is a possibility, I can try to think of some suggestions. Feel free to PM me too, if you have questions about the area!

1 Like

Wow. Thanks both I’ll look into Equinesite & pony club. Was really hoping not to split them up - I will need to think about that. One older gelding definitely needs an indoor stall. The other three can be indoor/outdoor with blankets. No one is clipped but- they are all California kids & don’t have thick coats. Hmm

Hi- I live right in the area you are moving to. Most decent barns in the area are h/j show barns. It’s an extremely expensive area as you know. You might have to go beyond 495 for a more affordable barn option which will probably be over your 30 minute distance. I also don’t know if any barns that have horses stay out all night, especially in the winter.

Feel free to pm if you find any potential barns and I can let you know if I know anything about them.
Best of luck!

1 Like

If you’re in SoCal you might already understand the hell that “commute traffic” is… but it’s very hard to find a place within 30m of Lexington (or Boston) that is rural enough to even support horses. There are a few H/J barns within 30m, but they are not “low key” and are competition barns and are driven by HJ prices.

I know of several barns that turn out overnight. They’re not uncommon here… but… what is your mortgage? Because here the average board for stall + indoor in that area is $1200+.

That is more than most people pay for mortgages.

I do not think you will be able to find a place within 30m of Lexington only because, it takes 30m to get out of Lexington sometimes. Rush hour is pretty bad in/around Boston. It takes me about an hour and 15m to go ~15 miles, to give you an idea.

There are plenty of places further out, that would definitely fit your criteria… but like one1horse said, be prepared to pay much more than you think you should, because boarding is at an all time high here.

I grew up here and I am on the cusp of being priced out. It’s very expensive. If you can find a rough-board situation a little further out west, it might work out for you.

Definitely send out an email through the LoChiatto group. Be prepared to expand your commute time to an hour, for affordability. The closer you get to Boston, the more and more expensive boarding is. The areas closest to Lexington that are horsey (Sudbury, Concord, Carlisle) all have high board costs ($1000-1500).

Expanding out a bit - Chelmsford, Littleton, Maynard, Lancaster, Berlin, Stow, Acton, Boxborough, Bolton, etc – these are still expensive, but there are much more low key and turnout options.

I have my horse west of Boston (Groton/Nashua NH Area) and the going rate for indoor board is still expensive… The best barn in Groton is charing $1275 IIRC, and any barns I can find that provide full-care and don’t have indoors are still around $675-900.