Unlimited access >

Socks for horses

So sorry

1 Like

Heartbreaking. You gave her the best of care.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Sending you hugs.

1 Like

So sorry for your loss. Hugs

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It means something different coming from a horseperson who understands the true depth of such a loss. She was so special to me.

Here is a little something I posted about her on social media:

CINCINNATI POPS

3/29/90-12/3/22

Cincinnati Pops, affectionately known as “Popper,” was a chestnut mare by Dixieland Band out of Summersault bred by Crescent Farm in Kentucky. Popper attended several thoroughbred sales in her lifetime from Keeneland in Kentucky, where she sold as a yearling for $37,000 to Fasig-Tipton in New York and Texas to Ocala. Although she never raced, we suspect she may have been in race training due to the pin fire marks on her cannons.

Instead, Popper had a prolific career as a broodmare, producing 13 foals, two of whom were graded stakes winners! She is also the second dam to 22 horses and third dam to 12 horses, many of whom are successful in racing to this day. As the years passed and she changed hands several times, she found herself at a farm in decline where she along with 47 other horses were ultimately rescued. After her rescue, Popper even participated in a horseshow with one of the rescue’s volunteers! At some point during this time, her eye was removed as a result of uveitis.

I first met Popper when I moved my gelding to a new barn. I was instantly drawn to her gentle nature and kind soul. Being near her was therapeutic in a way that is difficult to describe. When the time came to move to another facility, I requested to take Popper too. A few months later, uveitis reared its ugly head in her only eye. It was then that Popper had her only eye removed. I was initially overwhelmed by the prospect of a blind horse, but Popper made it easy. She loaded and unloaded off the trailer like an absolute pro, stood still for body clipping and the farrier, and we developed our own system of verbal cues. Since I was worried (among many things) about her finding her water in the pasture, I sometimes led her to it where she humored me by taking small sips.

Our situation was not ideal, as I had to find a place that was suitable for her new needs. A friend graciously reached out to me and we arranged for Popper to stay at her place during recovery, where she received excellent care. After recovery, we moved Popper to another horse friend’s place, where she stayed with her new bell-wearing buddy. Without my friends’ generosity, the last two years would not have been possible.

It was with the heaviest of hearts that I had to let my sweet girl go. I have no doubt that if I went through with surgery she would have fought for me, but she owed me nothing and all I wanted was to provide the best of care for her as long as she was willing. Popper taught me so much. She made me a better horseperson and person in general. I’ll always be so proud of my smart, beautiful girl.

Popper can now SEE while she does her power walking and sunbathing in the great, big pasture in the sky. :heart:

4 Likes

Blessed be the broodmares. She sounds like she was a very special horse. It also sounds like you gave her a wonderful life and although she had a sudden departure, a peaceful and dignified ending. Rest in peace, sweet mare. Hugs to you.

2 Likes