Unlimited access >

Socks for horses

My sweet mare has a gash just below the front of her fetlock (see photo; don’t judge me on her feet; she was due when this happened vet suggested putting it off if possible.). As you can see, we tried to staple it, but that didn’t work so well as she doesn’t do great staying in the stall. She is blind, so we didn’t want to sedate her to keep her in the stall.

I’ve been keeping it wrapped with either a no-bow/standing wrap or sheet cotton/gauze/vetwrap. I’m thinking once it heals I’d like to keep some kind of padding over it until it’s REALLY healed in case she bumps it. Sorta something to hold gauze/padding in place. She is blind, so maybe not as careful as a sighted horse.

What are everyone’s experiences/reccomendations for socks for horses? I’ve seen Gel Sox, Horse Sox, Equisleeve, etc. She is retired and turned out 24/7. She’s not wild, but does like to do her “mall walking,” so something that stays in place and is breathable is a must.

1 Like

A pair of turn out boots might work. Lemieux has some that are decent, and you could put her medical wrap underneath.

1 Like

I’ve used the equiflexx versions, they worked well in the stall, but I would never turn out in them.

1 Like

I have no experience w socks. Mine had surgery on the inside of a hind pattern. I kept it wrapped w Elastikon on the top and bottom to keep it clean when turned out.

1 Like

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=40d2e304-2947-4c29-acbf-db7833a8f685

Hopefully the link works but the fetlock sore boots I used for a mare with sleep deprivation over a bandage might be perfect

1 Like

I have used Equifit Silver Sox to prevent chafing on a horse that had to wear therapeutic horse boots for a few months.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/equifit-silversox/p/X1-4801/26utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB_Search_Dynamic_GOOG&utm_term=Google_AdGroup&eid=X17A00U3222/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYWm4uvY-wIVhq_ICh0HpQcPEAAYAyAAEgLT4fD_BwE

They worked great and are breathable. You can cut to whatever length you need.

However, they may not stay up quite as high as you need. But see below from Silver Whinnys (which I’ve heard good things about but have not personally used) for ideas on how to keep socks up.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and ideas, everyone.

I didn’t even know there was a category for turnout boots- I thought people just used brushing boots😂. Definitely went down a bit of a rabbit hole there. Now I’m trying to decide (read: overthink) between the socks, turnout boots or bedsore boots.

4 Likes

On another note, she is now at the hospital for a colon displacement. She is comfortable and quiet right now. Hopefully they can treat it medically. I’m not sure I’d put her through surgery.

Any and all jingles appreciated!

4 Likes

Jingles!!!

2 Likes

So sorry! Jingles!

2 Likes

Oh, jingles for a quick recovery.

I think bedsore boots would be great. The neoprene Professional choice ones come to mind and they would offer “bump protection.” I think turn out boots may not come low enough and socks may not be quite thick enough. Socks also move a lot IME. Can be a pain. If you are worried about a bedsore boot rubbing the laceration, fetlock shields may also work.

1 Like

Unfortunately, not a happy update. Her condition declined overnight. In addition to the original displacement, her small intestine twisted and was beginning to die. I had to let her go. I’m completely heartbroken.

Although no longer applicable for me, I hope others will find this thread useful in the future. Thanks, everyone.

6 Likes

I’m so deeply sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.

3 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard to let them go, even when it’s the right thing.

3 Likes

I’m so, so sorry.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. :broken_heart: Hugs.

3 Likes

I’m so terribly sorry you lost her. My heart breaks for you. It sounds like you’ve always done your best for her. I wish you peace in remembering that she knew she was loved. That’s the best any of us can do. She was a very lucky horse to have had you. [[[Hugs]]] :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. Giant hugs.

1 Like

hugs

1 Like

So sorry for your loss. {{{HUGS}}}

Susan

1 Like