Unlimited access >

Soft shell jackets

Recommendations for soft shell jackets? Want something that has a flattering fit while having enough give and stretch to not feel restrictive. Looking into Helly Hansen, does anyone have their ladies soft shell?

Are you looking for a show coat or just a hacking/schooling jacket?

Not a show jacket. Just a regular light jacket to wear at home

I have Ariat softshells for every day wear around the barn. Been very happy with the fit and functionality, and they wash up like new.

Aside from brand recognition I don’t see any value in HH as barn coats, I think I’d rather keep mine away from the barn, personally.

I’m typically not able to find something that great in jackets that makes me happy when riding. I usually opt for a long-sleeve or sweater with a vest. If it’s bad weather or super windy, I suck it up, but usually just grab a windbreaker or something along those lines of a 3-season with some vented sleeves by shoulders.

Flattering fit for riding is dependent on whether an otherwise nice enough hiking jacket bunches up at the waist and hips on a horse. Typically jackets designed for riders have a more stream lined cut but hiking jackets have more room for sweaters underneath.

Also typically hiking jackets are often better quality than riding jackets (the LeMieux winter coat seems to be an exception), have a wider range of colors, and most importantly go on much deeper discounts off season.

Flattering fit also depends on your body.

So yes, if I can get a $300 HH or Columbia or McKinley jacket on deep discount for $65, I pick that over the $200 riding jacket that never goes below $185 on sale. They get trashed at the barn but I need waterproof and warm in our climate

Horsepilot has a stunning one