Unlimited access >

Soft spot in hoof

I recently started working at a new barn where I took to a lame OTTB. When I was picking his hooves i noticed a soft spot that bled when I touched it. I can’t figure out what it is for the life of me
Can someone please help?

whose horse is it? Vet/Farrier is a good start

Canker, maybe?

Common trush does that. You need to treat it now! Aggressively and until it is resolved…and a few more days after.

Have the spot “open” or clearled by your farrier. Clean it, dry it, put some “medecine”, close the foot (bandage) so nothing else gets in there. Do this for 2 weeks at least.

If the hole is deep, I stuck a cut tampon damped with trush medecine in there.

Could be thrush, could also be canker. Might try Tomorrow or White Lightening to see if that clears it up. But I’m kind of with Simkie here in that it could be canker. Check to see if there is any unusual growth on the hoof- anything that might look like proudflesh and if it’s kind of smelly. Problem is canker and thrush both smell. Problem with canker is a lot of people think it’s thrush and treat it like thrush. Some vets and farriers have no clue about canker- as its fairly uncommon.

If it’s canker, PM me, I’ve been there.

It’s the owner of the barn that I just started working at. She claims to have called the vet for medication, but I’m worried she didn’t. I’m thinking about trying to adopt him so I can get him the proper care he needs

I’m trying to figure out how I can post a picture of it. I’ll get out there tomorrow and try and scrub it out and bandage it up

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/102711132240556488571/6288112176956761778

Here’s a picture of it right after I found it

Probably a bruise. It could be a weak spot in the coffin bone though. Does he have thin soles?

I have a horse with a similar thing. He originally had a bone bruise there that became infected and caused years of problems. He has never been very sound. I have had him for about 14 years and he has had problems most of the time.

Looks like an old abscess growing out to me.

Remember this isn’t your horse. Be mindful of what you do with him without the owner’s permission.

Looks like it could be canker to me - especially if it was bleeding? What is bloody fluid or blackish abscess fluid? If more bloody, I’d lean more towards canker. But it’s hard to tell. Has a farrier or vet been out to look at it? If its canker there will be abnormal growth - kind of like cauliflower As mentioned previously, since canker is relatively uncommon many farriers and vets are not familiar with canker never mind treating it. Keep an eye on it, if any abnormal or unsual growth starts to appear get the vet out to confirm canker or not. Canker is a hard issue to treat.
PM me if you want some suggestions for treatment.

[QUOTE=Cheyennealyson;8675651]
It’s the owner of the barn that I just started working at. She claims to have called the vet for medication, but I’m worried she didn’t. I’m thinking about trying to adopt him so I can get him the proper care he needs[/QUOTE]

I would say, right off the bat: slow down. If you are going to be working at this barn, carrying out this owner’s instructions in order to receive your pay cheque, you need to have some faith that the owner (your boss) is making the right decisions.

Thrush, abscess, canker: these all need attention, but none are life-threatening, and none need an emergency after hours farm call this very minute (save that for colic, cuts that need stitches, and serious accidents). Presumably this is an ongoing situation that the owner is aware of, and she may not feel the need to discuss it in detail with a brand new stable helper.

Some experienced horse owners are rather casual in their treatment of these kinds of things, and their horses recover just fine. Others are too casual, and terrible things result. I don’t know which kind of boss you have here.

If you have in fact landed at a place with absolutely terrible horse practises that you can’t condone, then it is time to quite and call the SPCA (are the horses starving?).

Otherwise, you need to trust that that owner knows what she is doing, and spend some time observing to see how things work out.

Also, it is not your place to begin aggressively treating her horse without her permission, based on internet research.

And I am not sure why you want or think you can “adopt” her horse. Is this a rescue facility? Otherwise, the horse may not be up for sale. And even if it is, I would proceed carefully. The visible hole in the foot is probably the least of the problems here. Even if you could take this horse for free, you would want a complete pre-purchase exam from a vet which is rather expensive. Otherwise you risk being saddle with a permanently lame horse for the next 15 years.

If the OP’s works at the barn, wouldn’t they know if the vet had come out to check the hoof. Agree it’s most likely not an “urgent” situation but might need some care. The OP doesn’t say in what capacity they are employed there - barn manager or barn help… either way they can check w/ BO about the hoof in question - did the vet come out - do I (as barn help) need to do/avoid anything OR mention to the BO hey - I was just cleaning out Rocky’s feet and noticed this spot and it bled easily - wanted to bring it to your attention in case you want to call vet/treat with something etc. But agree, with above poster that OP should tread lightly since they are not the horse’s owner

[QUOTE=gottagrey;8679370]
If the OP’s works at the barn, wouldn’t they know if the vet had come out to check the hoof. Agree it’s most likely not an “urgent” situation but might need some care. The OP doesn’t say in what capacity they are employed there - barn manager or barn help… either way they can check w/ BO about the hoof in question - did the vet come out - do I (as barn help) need to do/avoid anything OR mention to the BO hey - I was just cleaning out Rocky’s feet and noticed this spot and it bled easily - wanted to bring it to your attention in case you want to call vet/treat with something etc. But agree, with above poster that OP should tread lightly since they are not the horse’s owner[/QUOTE]

I recently started working there, but I’m the one who cleans all the horses’ feet. I brought it to the BO’s attention and she just brushed it off. I’m just trying to figure out what it is and how to treat it so I can casually bring it up to her.

“This hoof looks different than the others, what should I do? If I see a change, what would you like me to do?”

Communicate with your boss that you have noticed something and that you are seeking guidance for how to proceed.

If you don’t feel that you can follow those guidelines, then it might be best to work elsewhere.

[QUOTE=jawa;8679447]
“This hoof looks different than the others, what should I do? If I see a change, what would you like me to do?”

Communicate with your boss that you have noticed something and that you are seeking guidance for how to proceed.

If you don’t feel that you can follow those guidelines, then it might be best to work elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I’ve tried to communicate with her and the other staff members about it. She simply doesn’t care about this horse because he’s lame and can’t be ridden.

[QUOTE=Cheyennealyson;8679468]
Believe me, I’ve tried to communicate with her and the other staff members about it. She simply doesn’t care about this horse because he’s lame and can’t be ridden.[/QUOTE]

He’s lame because there is a HOLE in its hoof. Probably an abcess that has been breewing for some time and has now blown out…

This horse needs medical attention. Like now. You don’t leave an open bleeding wound in a hoof unprotected…that’s cruelty.

I, personally, would not work there and would report this to the authorities in place.

She simply doesn’t care about this horse because he’s lame and can’t be ridden.

repeat this out loud again and again and soon it will sink in

you are not going to win this BO over and change her mind.

Her basic attitude and ethic is not one i could nor would put up with

How about you?

Is the vet scheduled to come out to do any shots or checks? Maybe you can ask them to check the foot at that time? Does the BO not seem to realize that it’s possible to cure the horse of it’s lameness if they check out what’s wrong with the horse? OP I feel for you in this situation. No one wants to work for someone who is so heartless yet it’s hard to leave horses in a situation when you know they need some care/attention and won’t get it.