Unlimited access >

Softening Up A Neglected Saddle

I have a beautiful Cliff Barnsby saddle, it fits me perfectly and is in great condition… but it is incredibly stiff. I have oiled the begeebers out of it and was recommended to try Effax leather balm. (brown jar) How do I go about applying this?
-soap
-condition
-effax balm?
Thanks! :winkgrin:

I use a white rag (an old school, flat-fold, Gerber-brand diaper-- my rag of choice) doubled over my index and middle finger, scoop out a modest daub of it, then massage it into the leather in a circular motion with rag-over-fingertips. I just did my own saddle on Monday night before when I should have been packing for a trip. I love using it.

If you are asking about applying the conditioner, we use a sponge and rub it in. You can additionally massage it in with your hands on the billets, etc. Check to make sure those are not dry and cracked and that the stitching is good.

I use and absolutely love the MOSS leather cleaner and its scented! and I follow that up with Leather Honey. The MOSS you can find at Dover for I think like $16.95 or Big D’s has it for $14.95, the leather honey is a bit expensive but the small bottle will last a long time and it is sooooo worth it. I clean with the MOSS Cleaner then the Leather Honey.

My saddle, bridle, breast collar all feel like butter. And I only use the leather honey like once a week or every other week.

Give it a try I doubt you will be disappointed :slight_smile:

[]

[QUOTE=jaybird660;8697922]
If you are asking about applying the conditioner, we use a sponge and rub it in. You can additionally massage it in with your hands on the billets, etc. Check to make sure those are not dry and cracked and that the stitching is good.[/QUOTE]

You apply the balm after the saddle has been soaped and conditioned? Or use the balm in place of conditioner?
Thanks!

[QUOTE=BLBSTBLS;8697955]
I use and absolutely love the MOSS leather cleaner and its scented! and I follow that up with Leather Honey. The MOSS you can find at Dover for I think like $16.95 or Big D’s has it for $14.95, the leather honey is a bit expensive but the small bottle will last a long time and it is sooooo worth it. I clean with the MOSS Cleaner then the Leather Honey.

My saddle, bridle, breast collar all feel like butter. And I only use the leather honey like once a week or every other week.

Give it a try I doubt you will be disappointed :slight_smile:

[][/QUOTE]
I’ve never used the moss conditioner but I LOVE the saddle soap. When I have really sad leather I love love love the leather therapy stuff.

[QUOTE=RLMEventing;8698012]
You apply the balm after the saddle has been soaped and conditioned? Or use the balm in place of conditioner?
Thanks![/QUOTE]
I use it in place of conditioner. Actually, I’m not really sure what distinction you’re making between ‘conditioner’ and lederbalsam. I like using either Lexol in the orange bottle or Effex combi to clean and then lederbalsam to condition.

HunterRider23, yup the MOSS is a cleaner and conditioner in one… I was just thinking it was a cleaner.
My favorite scent is the Vanilla Bean or the Tea Rose

[QUOTE=RLMEventing;8698012]
Thanks![/QUOTE]

I love the Effax stuff and it’s recommended by the saddle fitter we use at the barn. I bought a used, old Passier dressage saddle. Leather is pretty dry. The fitter came to adjust it and had to come back to reflock 6 weeks later.

During that time he suggested using the Effax every two seeks. I SLATHERED it on and left it to soak in with the cover on, then wipe it down the next day. It made a nice difference.

Now I do it about once a month or so.

[QUOTE=BLBSTBLS;8698143]
HunterRider23, yup the MOSS is a cleaner and conditioner in one… I was just thinking it was a cleaner.
My favorite scent is the Vanilla Bean or the Tea Rose[/QUOTE]

I love the tea rose. I was so excited when smartpak started carrying it!

The Effax Lederbalsam is conditioner so if you clean it, just condition it with that after you clean it.