Unlimited access >

SoftStall vs. Stable Comfort - which would you chose?

We are putting stall flooring in ten stalls. Need a non-permeable system since they are going in as a cushion on top of concrete floor.

We have narrowed it down to Soft Stall and Stable Comfort stall mattresses. They are within a few hundred of the same price (including shipping), so price is really not a deciding factor.

I had StallSavers over dirt at my last place, and I loved how easy it was to muck/broom out, no “pee spot,” etc.

We will be using bedding as well, of course, but I like the additional padding that the stall mattresses offer, over just rubber mats. I also prefer the solid surface and ease of cleaning.

Do any of you have one of these systems? Opinions?

I have never tried either, but have researched both because I plan to redo my stall mats this summer. From what I read Soft stall has a problem with the stuff you paint on coming up fairly soon after it’s installed. I believe there is a thread on here about it. I have read about the rubber crumble type like the Stable comfort just settling and feeling hard like standard rubber mats. I’m planning on ordering Comfort Stall when I get mine in the summer, foam with a one piece solid rubber top. Here’s the link.
http://www.smartfarmhq.com/CS_Products_Comfortstall.html

I had the same concerns about SoftStall. I am leaning towards the Stable Comfort.

I have priced Comfort Stall, and I dont know if it was the shipping or what, but they were significantly more expensive than the other two. WAY more than I wanted to spend. Thats actually the only product I know of anyone having, and I wouldnt say it was super soft or anything.

I have no real world experience with the comfort stall either, maybe I will have to try to find somewhere I can check it out before I purchase. I am only matting 2 stalls. You will have to let me know how the Stable Comfort works if you do decide to get it.

We’re doing ten… so yes, I got the Comfort Stall quote and almost fainted. Haha!

About how much are they (Comfort Stalls) per stall? I’ve had them on my dream barn list…

They were over $1000 each. With ten stalls (and considering what I just paid for the stalls themselves), it was just out of the budget.

[QUOTE=IrishWillow;7953924]
They were over $1000 each. With ten stalls (and considering what I just paid for the stalls themselves), it was just out of the budget.[/QUOTE]

I do have to ask, are the stalls a standard 12x12 or were they bigger at that price?

[QUOTE=Horseychick87;7953991]
I do have to ask, are the stalls a standard 12x12 or were they bigger at that price?[/QUOTE]

That was for ten 12x12s

After being in multiple barns with the matress systems I decided against them for my barn. I really didn’t think the uneven, lumpy surface was helping the horses at all. I also didn’t like that the topsheet was attached to the stall walls.
I bought several rolls of the matress topsheet from the manufacturer and used it on my stall walls.
For the floors, I went with extra thick EVA mats and couldn’t be happier. The horses are very comfortable on them with less bedding that a conventional mat. They hold up very well and do not smell. They are also very light and easy to install.
Mine are over concrete.
http://www.equimats.com/

Wow, that’s pretty expensive per square foot if that’s a 12x12 stall. I can do basic 3/4 inch thick mats for around $282.00 each.
But I do like the idea of the stall mattress systems, they seem like they would be good on the joints for horses that need the extra cushion.

I have had StallSavers before over dirt, and they are fabulous for that. I LOVED the one piece design and the fact that they attached to the wall. No more mats moving around, stuff getting under mats, etc etc. I put them outside in the floor of a run in shed and theyre still there five years later. Really spectacular.

So I’m looking for something similar that actually has some padding under it, since its going over concrete. I could do regular mats for much cheaper, but I dont think that would be all that soft or comfortable.

I’ve heard good things about the StallSavers.

Yeah with concrete you’ll certainly want something thicker. I have heard the liners on the top of the foam mattresses can rip on occasion, but I’ve never seen it happen myself.
I’d lean more towards the crumb rubber, but I’d worry about it compacting after a while.

[QUOTE=IrishWillow;7954833]
I have had StallSavers before over dirt, and they are fabulous for that. I LOVED the one piece design and the fact that they attached to the wall. No more mats moving around, stuff getting under mats, etc etc. I put them outside in the floor of a run in shed and theyre still there five years later. Really spectacular.

So I’m looking for something similar that actually has some padding under it, since its going over concrete. I could do regular mats for much cheaper, but I dont think that would be all that soft or comfortable.[/QUOTE]

The EVA mats that I posted are nothing like the hard rubber mats, they have a lot of cushion, but are not lumpy like the mattresses. They do not curl, bunch or ever allow anything underneath. Some older horses had noticeable changes in their overall comfort on them. Have you seen a matress system that had been installed for a long time? They become lumpy and I think can cause other issues due to always standing on an angle.

1 Like