Unlimited access >

Solar Lighting

I am moving into a barn that currently doesnt have lights. So until we get the lighting situation fixed, I thought about putting up some solar lights in the mean time so I can fiddle around the barn when it is dark.

Has anyone ever done this? How did it work out for you? It is going to take me a while to get the actual electrical in the barn sorted and cleaned up before we can cut the power back on. (Apparently it has been 5+ years that anyone knows of that this barn has been out of power).

I would think it would be nice to have in the event the power goes out and there is an emergency anyway. I was looking at this particular light.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nature-Power-Solar-Powered-Outdoor-60-LED-Security-Light-with-Motion-Sensor-22050/203831596?N=5yc1vZc7qfZ1z0z3pd

Figured I could put one in a stall, and one in the barn isle, tack room, etc.

So if it is just you, and just temporary, I’d suggest getting a headlamp instead. This way, you have lots of light, always exactly where you want it aimed, for $20-$50.

The inexpensive solar lights sold as kits work, but there is some hassle to install them and they won’t be bright. Up to you as to whether you need bright - will it just be feeding and checking at night, or will you be leading horses around and tacking up with multiple people around?

Note: any solar solution needs a good view of the southern sky.

A solid, hard core solar lighting system that will produce good light and be usable even during the time of short, cloudy days is going to cost several hundred dollars. That’s not a bad thing, but if your long term plan is to put this building back on the grid, you might prefer calling the electrician to fix what you have.

I think I would try one and if you liked it add a few more. We use a Headlamp for a few outdoor chores after dark but I don’t like them when DH turns and looks at me and I’m blinded by it. I can’t imagine my horse would appreciate it either.

I have a small motion-activated solar light in the feed area of my run-in shed. It works like a champ. It’s much better than a headlight for the feeding chores because the light covers a significantly larger area. I also have a little LED lantern (from Cabela’s I think) for back up.

I use this rechargeable LED lantern in my barn and it is working great for me this winter. $45-ish at TSC, cheaper at Amazon. I charge it once a week in the house and turn it on for 20 minutes a night to do chores for two horses, and so far, so good. The battery doesn’t discharge in the cold, and the light is very bright. I aim it at the wall so it reflects back a very pleasant, non-glaring light. The solar light you show looks worth trying, too. This is just another option. I do use headlamps, but they’re a very focused beam – I like a whole-room light.