Unlimited access >

Solo or Lumiere or your other favorite bridle? I'm shopping

My question though is how tight do they need to be before this really even makes a difference? Or is it the padding that a crank has that equalizes the pressure better?

Even with a regular french, I buckle it, then give it a little shift-shift side to side to get the pressure even. Only if it were so tight that I couldn’t do that can I see it making a difference (sans the big padding on the crank).

2 Likes

It’s the metal rings on each side of the noseband. What it does is distribute the pressure[s] from both the jawstrap it is attached to, and also helps (depending on the crank’s configuration) with pressure coming down from the noseband hangar itself. The more directions in which the opposing forces of the bridle itself can travel, the better comfort for the horse. In any standard bridle with standard cavesson you have several different traveling pressures – the straps around the crown pulling down, the straps from the bit pulling up, the noseband also will apply pressure directly on the bridge of nose and the crown itself if it is fastened beyond two fingers. Th metal rings on a crank help distribute these conflicting pressure sources better.

You know those nosebands that have the cheek-piece/noseband hangar portion of the strap leather go into a square inlet versus being stitched onto the noseband? That function has better pressure disbursement too. So if you can find a crank (or even a standard caveson) that also has this feature, even better.

Regarding how tight it needs to be… Honestly, I think if you have a standard noseband that you can fit two fingers between the BRIDGE of the nose and the noseband, that it doesn’t matter if it’s crank or not. The crank really seems to come into play once the noseband is also a pressure point - and that doesn’t happen unless the noseband is fastened snug.

3 Likes

It also depends on what is happening when the horse is chewing/moving the jaw. If a regular cavesson is fitted with a chin pad it would likely be very similar. With padding on the nose and the jaw, that creates sort of a softer end point if the mouth does open, or just with regular chewing (stiffness of the noseband could come into play too, as well as any buckles/metal contacting the jawbone area).

I know Fairfax, based on their studies, has been very careful to create nosebands that can be symmetrically adjusted, including both upper and lower straps on their drop noseband.

2 Likes

I asked about the picture of that bridle. I said it looks like a crank because it has 2 buckles and that isn’t congruous with their statement that they don’t sell cranks anymore. Here’s the reply:

Yes, the pad under the buckle [on the bridle I was most interested in] can absolute be moved so it stays under the buckle no matter what hole it is done up on.

The picture of the Audrey is outdated i’m sorry so it shows a crank noseband but it no longer comes with a crank noseband as pictured, but a standard closure noseband.

Apologies for the confusion.

I think she meant Abigail. I will reply that I know someone who thought it was a crank and purchased it, and never heard back from the company. And that I will be sure to know what I’m getting before I order it thanks to her.

Hi there! Jessica here from Lumiere. I wanted to jump in as customer satisfaction and feedback is so important to us.

Firstly, regarding the chin pad; the design of these nosebands has recently been updated to make them more adjustable. The original design offered maximum padding with gel cushioning, & was designed for a noseband that was a very correct fit, but the pad would be out of alignment if the fit wasn’t correct (eg on a really large or small hole). We have now come up with a new design and as of 2022 stock this is rectified.

Secondly, sincerest apologies that you didn’t receive a response from the customer service team. We use a ticket system for all of our channels (email / Facebook / instagram) so nothing is missed. We would love to hear from you via customer@lumiereequestrian.com so we can look into what occurred with your original ticket and resolve this for you.

Regarding crank vs non-crank nosebands. Trends come and go in all things, and currently there is a trend away from crank closures due to a perception that they can be leveraged to close too tight. The risk of this is only in the hands of the user, but regardless, we received overwhelming requests to change to a standard closure which is why that change occurred. We listen to our customers. There was a period of time where we needed to re-shoot all of our bridles to reflect this change, which didn’t happen overnight. Our images are now almost all updated.

Apologies to anyone that feels it is an overstep for a company to jump in on a forum chain, but information lives on for years on the internet and there are some simple things here that I could provide a quick answer for to remove any confusion or concerns. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’ve placed two Lumiere orders and now own three bridles. The first I’ve been using for over a year and am very happy with the quality and looks, so I bought a couple more during their holiday sale. Both times I had problems with the order being delivered, but found customer service responsive, helpful, and willing to compensate me (unasked) for the inconvenience. Friends who ordered had no delivery issues. My bridles regularly get compliments. I’d order again and recommend them, but with the caveat that international shipping during covid times can sometimes take a while though most of their orders seem to be delivered stateside within a week. .

1 Like

Revisiting this thread. I’m SOOOO happy that Lumiere pitched into this thread. SO AWESOME that the took the time to do this and explain their very nice products.

I’m about to purchase a bridle. I like the crank because it evenly distributes pressure on the jaw. My trainer has many horses and clients in Solo’s brides and I was able to try a bunch of different bridles on my horse. Probably like Lumiere, Solo’s bridle guy Stephen has been incredibly helpful fitting the bridle before I buy and evaluating the measurements of my horse’s face I took with my nose on my cell phone. I sent pictures of my horse with a tape measure on his nose to ensure it was in the right spot. I took it with my nose! My previous measurements were not correct and Stephen was willing to adjust a noseband if my measurements were correct (they weren’t).

I’ll likely place my order within the next week.

Stephen is the best! I’m ashamed to say how many Solo bridles I own lol. I just bought the drop noseband snaffle and it’s the nicest one yet. The Italian leather is lovely and a big step up from what they used in earlier models

1 Like

Good to hear! Thanks! I’m planning on the rolled Harmony bridle. I’m so looking forward to the purchase.

If I may throw out another name: Stampede Equestrian (UK). I ordered a bridle from them and it was spectacular! They have a huge range of anatomical bridles with gorgeous leather (including patent if that’s your jam) and beautiful browbands. With flash, without. With “crank,” without. They are very flexible. I loved what I got for the price. <3

3 Likes

I really like the double I bought from them too! They worked with me to put together a bridle that fit my hard to fit mare (she’s being full and cob).

2 Likes

I really like my Flexible Fit bridle. My horse has a short, but broad head and I was able to order all the parts in different sizes to fit beautifully. There was also a crank nose and that wasn’t super wide and overwhelming on my slightly smaller guy. They have lots of options and the quality of the leather is quite nice.

1 Like

Also jumping on here to second Flexible Fit. The quality is super soft right out of the box.

Ooh, thanks! Those are great prices for rolled double bridles. I’ve got it bookmarked for when I’m ready to upgrade my mare’s double to something than the Collegiate + random cobbled together pieces.

2 Likes

For the price, the quality is pretty good - I can’t tell the difference between the two rolled double models, I got the English leather and it came nicely supple. Not too much that I’m worried about it wearing out but enough to be useable without soaking in oil.

2 Likes

OK, I got my Solo bridle today. I love love LOVE it. I purchased a separate browband fo my gelding but I think that’ll have to be on hold because I really like the browband that came with the bridle.

I was Stephen’s “problem child” and he was very great with assessing and accommodating my and my horses needs. He gave me great tips on caring for the bride, and caring for it with the conditioners I already have.

I’m so impressed with them. Did I say I was their “problem child”?

2 Likes

Stephen is the poster child for customer service.

1 Like

I’m still on the hunt for a double bridle that I like. Out of curiosity, does Solo do custom orders? I love that they’ll let you send measurements, but I’d really like to order something in specific colors without having to spend the ridiculous amount of money that Schumachers cost.

1 Like

EvoEquine carries several models of double bridle. I don’t have a double, but I do have one of their snaffle bridles. The leather quality is excellent, and they ask that you provide your horse’s measurements, and then they’ll put together the bridle from suitably sized parts.

Evoequine bridles

Also, since they’re in Britain, the exchange rate of dollars to pounds is pretty good. When I ordered my bridle last year, it took about 2 weeks for it to arrive.

1 Like

It’s not something they’ve done before but it doesn’t hurt to ask! That being said have a look at their site - they’ve added quite a few options besides basic black or black and white

1 Like