Unlimited access >

Solo or Lumiere or your other favorite bridle? I'm shopping

Oh OH he is winning so many points for customer service. I took a picture of the bridle on my horse’s head today. My horse is a 16.2hh Westfalen with wide eyes but a small muzzle.

Again, I took pictures because I was near the end of the bridle holes (not AT but near). His ears seemed to fit the horse bridle (I tried a friend’s cob) but the cheek pieces seemed to be long. I texted pics today to Stephen and he texted right back saying that if the bridle stretched he could send different cheek pieces.

My horse and I are problem children for Solo and Stephen has been so freakishly helpful and upbeat.

Yes, Stephen sent me comparative pictures of the different color nosebands so I could tell the difference and make the right order.

I wish I could send him a bottle of quality alcohol for dealing with us. He deserves it.

2 Likes

He did the same thing for my 17.3 hand misshapen dinosaur who needed regular cheek pieces but an oversize noseband.

Real Canadian Liquor Store has locations throughout Edmonton and seems to have e gift cards you can purchase online :wink:

3 Likes

Hmmmm, they don’t seem to have that option anymore!

I would have said that they just stick with custom sizing - as in different sized pieces put together for one bridle - BUT Stephen posted a video on Instagram on the weekend showing a custom pink bridle they did for someone. So I definitely think it’s a possibility!

2 Likes

Thanks, all! I appreciate the feedback. I’d really like to find someone who could do custom colors for me. I know that Halter Ego will do custom colors (they posted a very bright purple custom bridle they did on FB the other day!), but I’ve read a lot of conflicting thoughts on the fit of their bridles, so I’m a little hesitant. I’d like to just get another Fairfax (I already have the snaffle), but they don’t offer customization and you can’t easily swap out their browbands.

Check with Solo. Apparently that may be something they can do. What colour are you looking for?

Nothing too crazy! I’d like to get a black bridle with cognac or even cream-colored padding (I think white just won’t look right) on the noseband to keep a neutral color scheme. This way, it will still match my saddle but will also allow me to have fun with the browbands and swap them out for different colors if I want.

He has a copper and a gold noseband in the coloured section here but nothing cognac
https://www.soloequine.com/collections/colored-noseband-sets

Just thought I should post here too, looks like Eponia is having a sale on their website and some of the bridles are great priced and under $200.

I’m not affiliated with them in any way, but been really happy with my Ginger bridle I bought from them back in 2015/2016 (can’t remember which year).

1 Like

I just saw a friend’s new Solo bridle, and it was nice, so I visited the website.

The Solo Seven appears to be identical to the Passier Starlight (that I have), including the rings on an anatomical noseband, and … is $100 cheaper!

I’ve had two Evoequine bridles and the leather quality and details are better than any other I’ve tried. One of them had a really stiff noseband (that seems to be the case for these big broad nosebands these days) and I opted for their Saffron Super Soft noseband for my next bridle and found it much better. Depending on the exchange rate they can be a good deal (or not!) and if you’re looking for American-style customer service, well, you won’t find it. They’re fine to deal with, and did help me select the correct style headstall for a horse with a narrow space between the ears, but their response time isn’t great and they have forgotten to send me tracking numbers, etc.

On the less wallet-busting end is Flexible Fit, and their bridles are always super soft and flexible right out of the box. The leather quality is nice, not top shelf, but certainly worth the price. I had one curb rein that was incredibly rough on one side, and they replaced it at no charge. Their customer service is generally amazing (I had a rhinestone fall out of one of their brow bands and asked if they could just send a replacement rhinestone, but they sent a whole new browband) and they have fairly frequent sales.

1 Like

I’d second the leather quality of my Evoequine bridle. It’s very nice leather that is heavy and supple. I particularly like the reins I bought in addition to the bridle.

I found them very responsive, so I am not as critical of their customer service as @standardbroad is above. They did not provide a tracking number, that’s true, but the bridle was shipped quickly, and they put together a bridle with different sized pieces according to the measurements I gave them.

1 Like

Regarding the Fairfax browbands, they easily unscrew. Also based off of the recommendation of someone on the COTH, there’s someone on Etsy who will make custom browbands for it if you send her the plain piped one.

1 Like

I also have an Eponia bridle and love it. The leather is very soft and comfortable for my horse. The price is very good when compared to other bridles of the same quality.

I recently got to see a Halter Ego bridle in person and have to say I was incredibly disappointed in the leather quality. It was newer so not broken in but was so stiff and plasticy. I had been considering buying one for my horse and after seeing my friends (and reading the posts about inconsistent fit) will definitely not be doing so. I had similar feelings about the Lumiere bridle my friend had as well, though those are nearly $100 cheaper so can forgive some of the leather quality issues.

1 Like

And don’t forget Solo’s pricing is in Canadian $$, so extra value if you are a US buyer.

Thank you for that. I need an enabler! I am looking for my second horse. My beloved Stubben is falling apart after 25 years…

1 Like

That being said, I bought my Starlight from Hypostore, when they had one of their (regular) 20-25% off sales, plus no VAT, so even as a Canadian, Hypostore was still the cheaper option (and I do love the bridle).

1 Like

I have the Lumiere Milan, and I am not thrilled with the leather. My Ovation at a similar price point is much much nicer. The Lumiere’s leather edges are painted, and it’s cracking and looks cheap. It’s a pretty bridle from afar.

1 Like

Oh interesting, do you know which one it was? I’ve always been curious about the quality on some of the patterned and brighter options. I have the Calisa (all black with an anatomical patent noseband) and really like it. Had I read/seen the fit issues beforehand, it probably would have put me off from buying. It fits my guy wonderfully and he seems to like it. I think though when it’s time to upgrade, I’m going to go for one of the Finesse bridles. The crownpieces are so intriguing to me.