Unlimited access >

Someone to start young mare-New England

Hi all,

I have a young mare who will be turning 4 this summer, and I would like to have her started under saddle, as I no longer have the time or physical ability to do so myself. Though I am a dressage rider, I am not necessarily looking for a dressage trainer (though it would be nice); I am open to anyone skilled with giving babies a great correct and safe start to their journey, including long lining and hacking out. I am really not interested in colt starters, or anyone who is going to spin her around and around in a round pen and wiggle leadropes and carrot sticks. I am looking for more traditional good horsemanship methods, with someone who is kind and tactful. My horse’s care and well-being is very important to me. I am in Massachusetts, but will consider most of New England within a reasonable distance. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

What about Hilltop Farm or Highpoint Hanoverians - both are in MD.

2 Likes

You could try Josh Noble at Burkland Farm in MA. I know that he’s started horses for dressage people before even though he specializes in driving. You should check out the testimonials on his website.

1 Like

Abby South of On The Rise Training. She is primarily western-oriented, but has experience starting big, high $$ WBs for a few very nice breeding programs local to you.

I’ve found her approach very sensitive to the horse. She goes on their timeline.

2 Likes

Great, thank you!

Very interested in someone with a driving background! Thanks!

1 Like

That’s farther than I’d like, as I would want to be able to visit. But, I will still keep it in mind, as you never know! Thanks!

I use Divinity Equestrian out of Syracuse NY. He has a strong dressage/eventing background!

1 Like

Joe Forest’s program in NH, Dilara Drukker (not sure if she’s starting horses presently), and- no personal first hand experience but I’m pretty sure Erin Duffy, Kristin Wagner and Jacquelyn Toher have all posted recently about training openings.

2 Likes

Ashley Glynn at 8T Acres in Hanover, NH might be a good fit for you. She’s started many horses, is fairly traditional in her methods and creates solid citizens.

2 Likes

Audrey Bean at Pendragon Farm Equestrian Center in Skowhegan, Maine. An eventer with a solid pony club and dressage foundation.

2 Likes

I would stay away from Jacquelyn Toher. She used to have a good program for starting babies but, I’ve seen her post some concerning videos over the past 6 months or so of an Arabian mare she’s supposed to be starting that are downright dangerous. A friend who sent a young warmblood to her to be started last year had him come home with serious and dangerous behavioral issues.

I’ve heard good things about Kristin Wagner (NH), but no direct experience. Not sure if Juliane Dykiel (Harvard, MA) is still starting horses for outside clients as she’s been building a breeding program, but have seen nice things from afar with the young horses coming from her farm.

3 Likes

Thank you, everyone. I am getting a list together of those to contact. Feel free to keep recommendations coming. Some people I have heard of and other I haven’t; I think this is a niche where there is a great need and I would like to educate myself for others as well.

Sent PM.

Another vote for Joe Forrest / Horton’s Farm. They are the best for starting youngsters!!

2 Likes

https://mountainlanefarm.com/training/

Mountain Lane, Temple NH – many of the dressage riders I know / train with routinely send their youngsters here. Super affordable, super well-rounded training for youngsters under saddle.

2 Likes

Look for a good Morgan trainer that competes in combined driving - most of them ride as well as drive

1 Like

Lisa Terrell helped me restart my young TB. We did a ton of ground driving to help him build muscle and she helped a friend of mine start her young warmblood under saddle. Claudia Lauze would be another person I’d reach out to.

Jane Hannigan will be back in Concord after the winter and she’s also excellent. I will likely work with her as my horse gets stronger.

I’m in the Boston MetroWest area so if you have questions about specific trainers/programs, feel free to reach out to me.

2 Likes

I would suggest Jacquelyn Toher. I’m very surprised by the comment above. Jackie is one of the most sympathetic trainers I’ve ever known.

1 Like