Unlimited access >

Something going on with my kitty

My kitty who is probably in the 10-15 year old age bracket is not doing well. She stopped eating as much, even when I tempted her with canned tuna, and is barely drinking. She’s lost a lot of weight and seems to have no energy or strength. She is still able to jump on on the bed but is very lethargic and I’ve noticed she’s not cleaning herself at all. Is it just old age taking over? I plan to take her to the vet for a check-up and a possible PTS. Poor little waif.

They often get kidney problems at this age and start to fail. There may be treatment possible.

1 Like

Kidneys would be the top of my list. A simple blood work up will show if that’s the case. I would take her sooner rather than later. Depending on where she is, there might be some treatment available, but the sooner you catch it, the better.

3 Likes

Another vote for kidney issues. They seem to start at about 13, at least mine have

My last old one was diagnosed at 16, they gave her 6 months. She wouldn’t eat any kidney diet food. So I fed her anything she wanted, canned cat food wise. Had the best luck with Weruva brand, the BFF varieties. Petco and PetPro’s Carries it

She lived to 19.5

3 Likes

Definitely don’t give up on her yet. Vet visit and blood work is an asap and go from there.

Snickers and Sammy had kidney issues for several years. They ate Royal Canin kidney food and have done well.

Sammy did get cancer but it was unrelated. I hope your girl has something treatable and feels better soon!

4 Likes

Agree that kidneys would be the first place to look. Get basic lab and go from there. It’s quite possibly manageable for more good years.

3 Likes

Hyperthyroidism will cause them to lose weight as well and meds can really help. Please go to the vet asap for bloodwork.

2 Likes

Jingles for your kitty.

1 Like

I know you ave a lot on your plate but any update on kitty?

2 Likes

Kitty had a seizure last week while at the vet and was humanely put down. Thanks for asking and for the jingles. She’s was a good kitty and I’ll miss her bringing live critters into the house to toy with (not).

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m down to one of my original 5 and we both miss the others greatly.

Even all the things I used to get irritated at.

(((Hugs))) for you.

1 Like

So sorry for your loss.

Aww so sorry about your kitty :heart:

1 Like

So sorry. They always leave a hole in our lives, no matter the size.

1 Like