Unlimited access >

Speak to me of hoof boots

What hoof boots do you all use?
Please tell me what you like and don’t like about them…

I am looking at Renegades, Old Macs, or EasyBoot Gloves as the front runners so far for my mildly foundered older Mustang mare to wear for 25 mile LDs. She is now healthy and sound and has been cleared by the Vet to start conditioning again for 25s.
TIA

Easyboot gloves work well for me. You do need to be a fairly regular trim schedule and make sure the fit is right. If you can get them on without a mallet, then they are too big or need a powerstrap/tape. Once you get used to them, they take about 2 minutes to put on all 4.

My next choice would be the backcountries, then epics.

My experience with Renegades wasn’t great- tried a pair, went for a quick trot around the trailhead to check fit. When we stopped, my horse tried to chew them off. She wasn’t a fan. That said, they seem to work for alot of people.

I would really recommend you find a dealer/ person with many sizes and styles of boots. That way, you can try what you like/dislike without having to buy a bunch of boots that might not work.

Not sure we have a dealer up here like that, I will ask around.
Wow, you need a mallet to put them on?! I’ve never used boots before
This will be a first for both of us…
Thanks so much for your reply, it is very helpful.

I forgot to ask you how often you trim your horses?
Mine are typically trimmed every 5-6 wks during spring and summer.

Trimming varies a bit by season- in the spring/summer, when we are doing alot of miles in boots(movement stimulates growth, but no hoof wear b/c of boot), I trim every 3-4 weeks, probably every 5-7 weeks in winter.

For the gloves, a mallet is very helpful- I normally fold the gaiter back, line it up with the hoof and then use a few good whacks with a mallet at the toe to get the boot on all the way. Since the gloves are designed to fit very closely(no hardware/buckles to tighten once its on the hoof), they should be tough to get on, especially when they are new.

For finding someone close to you, easycare has a list of dealers on their website. You could also try asking on the easycare and renegade facebook pages to see if anyone is close to you.

I find it really varies by hoof shape. My mare wears Gloves up front and Renegades behind because that’s what fits her feet best. And once I got the fit figured out- those things definitely stay put. I did a ride a couple of weeks ago where we went through several boggy patches of knee/hock deep sucking mud and the boots didn’t budge. I would love to have her in just Gloves because Renegade’s customer service sucks.

Renegades work well for my horse, and I love how easy they are to get on and, when you want them off, off. Gloves didn’t fit my horse, and I wasn’t willing to deal with the extra pieces for adjustment that were being offered at that time (this was a few years ago).

I want the boots to be super easy. :slight_smile: I wasn’t willing to deal with mallets and gaiters and wrapping or stuffing or padding, etc.

We have never done more than 20 miles, though.

It really depends on what works for you and for your individual horse. Each brand and style of boot fits best for a different hoof shape, so trial and error is the only way you’re going to figure out what works best for you.

Personally, my horse goes really well in Renegades, they fit him great, and I’ve found their customer service to be excellent. I’ve used them on rides up to 50 miles.

I’m about to order renegades for the fronts of my shoe-pulling goofball Arab. He will stay shod behind. Renegade has said they will refund them if they don’t work for him. I gave her all the dirty shoe-pulling secrets too.

Some Easycare dealers should have a fitting kit for you.