Unlimited access >

Speaking of mares

Anyone else’s in heat right now? I’m near Chicago.

We have 3 in the barn definitely in heat, mine included (hence our little bronco session the other night - just getting to know her as I’ve owned her for just under a year and it turns out she is spooky and scooty on her first heat of the season, hopefully it doesn’t continue!).

Yes, I’ve had one in heat a couple weeks ago now. She is out with a herd, and was a total ho for the duration. She picked her potential mate, he was thrilled and felt special, but had no idea about what to do about it (gelding). But yes, I’ve had mares cycle through the depth of winter, in the snow at -30C and few hours of daylight, I am much further north than you are. Makes me laugh about broodmares that I put under lights in decades past LOL.

2 Likes

Yeah I think cycling in the winter is more common than I was lead to believe growing up. Pretty sure my mare has always done so all year long.

1 Like

Mine was demonstrating what I think was in-season behavior in mid-Jan.

I try to mark on the calendar when I first see “in season” behavior each year. I have 3 mares and just try to note when I see something from any of them. They’re pretty quiet about it, for the most part, but that first season of the year is pretty strong, so I usually notice something.

Seems to regularly hit in late Jan to mid Feb. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Both my girls are coming out of heat. Longer days…

Good idea. I marked the day she had her little freak out lol.

My late mare was more distracted in heat, but would never bolt/buck like this little ding dong did. :joy:

Mine haven’t really stopped cycling all winter this year.

OMG my mare was acting flirty and needy to everyone the week of January 2nd this year and I thought something was wrong because I’ve always heard they don’t go into heat in the winter at all… good to know I’m not the only one!!!

Yeah, 100% anestrus during winter is a myth in my experience. Brutal transition heats are a thing spring and fall, but there seem to be “quieter” heats throughout the winter.

1 Like