Special Education:

This posted by my cousin who worked for Special Olympics for years and years…

Editing to add: it appears she has her months off… it was March, but I’m still going to leave this up… I think it’s worth passing along. :wink:

People need to understand that children with special needs don’t have an illness, so there is no cure and it’s not contagious. They only want what we all want: to be accepted. Most of you probably won’t copy and paste this. Will you do it and leave it on your status for at least an hour? It’s Special Education week, and this is in honor of all the kids who need a little extra help and understanding

Kudos to everyone striving to learn and teach special needs of all types…

And aren’t we BLESSED to have horses to assist us! Or, more accurately in my case, that I am allowed to assist THEM! :smiley:

It is such a rewarding job, isn’t it? I don’t think I could do anything else. We are getting ready for our regional special olympics competitions, which are in early June here.

Another piece to that quote I would like to add is, to never underestimate what one can do. Just because they have a label shouldn’t limit their potential! :smiley:

I totally agree with that. I don’t work with special needs people,but I have Asperger’s and because of that when it comes to riding i definetly have some challenges (balance being one). And I feel like people are always judging me based on my disability and rather than my riding skill (which I have been told i have some skills). And what I really want people to realize is just because i have an “ability” (we like to call it an “ability” at my house and not a “disability”) does not mean I am not able of competing and riding the same horses as “non-disabled” people

The proper way to address that is to understand that all individuals are human and people first, then they are this or that, including for some, disabled in one or more ways.

Example, John Doe is not an autistic person per se, but is a person with autism, or is not a Down’s person, but a person with Downs syndrome.

If we remember to put the person first, even if they have a disability that may define them, they are not that disability.

Bluey, that is a HUUUGE pet peeve of mine. :lol: You are so right!