Unlimited access >

Spendthrift - Free Drop Billy to Iowa

The latest Spendthrift sales have begun, with Free Drop Billy relocating to Iowa State University. He’ll stand for a fee of $2,500, stands and nurses.

The horse didn’t turn out to be a good enough sire for the Kentucky market, so he’s being given a second chance in an easier state. I’m not sure how that qualifies as an eviction.

6 Likes

It is tongue in cheek. Not necessarily a commentary on how they do their business.

Last Spendthrift advert in BH Stallion Register for Free Drop Billy:

2 Likes

Always thought he was a nice horse. His early foals and yearlings through the sales were nice made horses too. Wish him the best.

2 Likes

And Honor Code (Lane’s End) is off to Japan. He had some standouts; I don’t know how many mares he bred this year but I suspect it was much lower than in his first 2-3 years. He’s ranked #60 on the NA sires’ list, but the sales numbers for his progeny were likely as much or maybe more of a factor in the decision to sell.

Honor Code was one of my favorites. Sad to see him go to Japan. Not only was he beautiful, he put the same type of quality in his offspring.

2 Likes

Mor Spirit heads to Indiana for an advertised fee of $2,500.

I can’t find this online… do you have a link?

[quote=“SPRINGBORO, post:9, topic:788428, full:true”]
I can’t find this online… do you have a link?
[/quote]

It’s in the ITOBA yrlg sale catalog.

thanks for this!! He just had a nice stakes winner in the slop at Fort Erie

Honor Code made it safely to Japan.

5 Likes

He’ll be a nice outcross for Sunday Silence mares.

3 Likes

Early Voting Removed From 2024 Covering Duties at Coolmore

Early Voting, who was not on the roster of stud fees when Coolmore America announced their 2024 lineup Tuesday, has been “removed from covering duties at Ashford Stud for the 2024 breeding season due to an inability to breed, according to veterinary experts,” Coolmore said Wednesday.

The farm said that the stallion, a son of Gun Runner, was subject to an ongoing insurance claim.

I wonder what happened that made them throw in the towel so quickly, especially if he was okay at first…

1 Like

From what I was told, he was jumping mares but couldn’t / wouldn’t finish the job.

Classic Empire & Lookin at Lucky are also off the roster. Rumor is they were sold overseas.

3 Likes

What a beautiful horse. <3

I’m sorry to see Lookin at Lucky go.

Ashford also let Cupid go. He’s in Maryland now and I know a couple of breeders who are happy to see him here in the mid-Atlantic! I think he’ll be popular though increasing his fee from $5K in KY to $8K in MD is interesting.

2 Likes

Yes…I have a Cupid in utero currently so that move was especially disappointing for us.

2 Likes

Forte has officially been retired & will stand at Spendthrift