Spinal Fusion / Back issues while riding?

Hi all,

I would love to hear anyone with a similar experience, as to riding after a spinal fusion, if there were any changes, anything you avoided, any tips!

I’ve had 2 spinal fusions, the first I was 17 and I rode up until then, unfortunately the fusion failed and 2 screws broke, so I had another fusion 5 years later (with no riding inbetween) It’s now been nearly 2 years since the last fusion, and I feel better than ever. My doctor told me I was better to wait 2 years (rather than one) as it was a huge operation, it took 12 hours, I’m fused from T10 - L4. (The first was T12 - L2 but as it failed the had to go 2 vertebrae above/below to try again) Anyway, after having gone through this twice/rehab twice, I was happy to wait the 2 years (well almost it’s been 18 months)

Anyway, I’m 25 now, and have got the horse bug back stronger than ever, I’ve been on a couple trail rides overseas, very quite walking (nose to tail stuff)
And just last week started daily leasing, where I can go out and do whatever I like, I’m finding it all great, hard obviously needing to regain so much muscle mass, rising trot is fine, but I’m struggling to really sit to the canter and find my seat.
It’s only been a couple weeks, so this could be because I’m completely out of practice I know, I would love to know if anyone went through something similar.
If you found it hard to get your seat back, especially being lumbar I guess we tense without knowing it?

I’ve searched and read a lot of older posts, success stories seem harder to find as I guess they’re out living and doing it all. Any info at all, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

I had a fusion 15 years ago (L4-L5) and did get back to riding when my doctor cleared me to ride (about 6 months). I was primarily doing dressage and some trail riding. My doctor had warned me that when vertebrae are fused, the torque from following the motion (sitting trot and sitting the canter) has to go somewhere and it ends up going above and below the area of the fusion and is magnified. So, in his opinion, if I went back to doing lots of dressage, I might well end up needing another fusion in the future. At that point, I decided to just do some schooling in a two point ( canter ) and rising trot and did mostly easy trail riding. I really grieved giving up dressage (it had been my passion) but eventually made my peace with it and found other ways to enjoy my horse. With as large an area as your fusion, it may be physically impossible to follow the undulating canter motion as well as you once did. You might want to talk to your surgeon about this and get his/her opinion. Good luck to you

I had a fusion in 2013 - single level L5-S1. I was out of the tack for 7 months and got right back into it once cleared. I started dressage last year with my mare and have found no pain while sitting the trot, which is refreshing. I do try to not sit the trot more than absolutely necessary and my trainer does understand.

I do think that it is reasonable to expect that you may not sit or feel the same as you did prior to the surgeries. I feel different in the tack but have acclimated to it.

OP, you have my fusion trumped :eek: I was fused 5 years ago T10-S1.

For non-related reasons, I haven’t been on a horse since :frowning: but I know that I would have given serious consideration to riding anything other than a total packer if I had chosen to ride again. As you well know, above and below the fusion are now weak points in the spine. Personally, I was very afraid if I got back on and came off, I’d have issues above the fusion (as below is screwed into the pelvis). That alone was enough to give me pause to want to ride.

I am assuming this last fusion was into S1? I suspect that anything “sitting” (trot or canter) may be tough, particularly since the flexible part of your spine (L1-L5) no longer is.

Because my fusion was into the pelvis (S1), there are many things in daily life I can no longer do the way I used to having nothing to do with riding.

I would say give it a try, remember that you no longer have a flexible spine and things won’t be the same. If this new fusion is into S1, it will make it more of a challenge.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions :slight_smile:

Are you sure you want to get back on? Maybe find another way t get your horse fix? Sounds so scary and you are so young…please be careful

1 Like

OP, I went back and re-read - this one stops at T4 (not S1).

You still have 2 points of vulnerability, both above and below the fusion. Yes, stopping at L4 leaves you with a small amount of lumbar flexibility which will help. But I also suspect that flexibility will be very limited.

I will also confess I’m bit of the same mind as Magicboy. You are very young and risking,IMO, a fair amount in riding. I understand the need and desire (I sure wish I could). Even if the reason I don’t ride today didn’t exist, I would be thinking twice about getting on and if I did, how much would I do as falling off would terrify me (not the “fall” but potential risk of injury as a result of that fall). If you did come off, it may also be harder for you to land “safely”.

Like I said, I get it… {{}} not easy choices.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies and input,
​​​​​its interesting to hear the different experiences.

I know i need to be extremely careful, i guess I’ve gone back and fourth in being so young but then also i want to enjoy my life as well and it’s really the only passion I’ve ever had.

I think though after reading all your responses I’d prefer to stick to walking and very light riding as opposed to getting back into faster gaits.

Thanks again everyone

1 Like

Seabiscuit, thanks for responding and sharing your thoughts. I think a good strategy… slow, light riding, packer… stack the odds in your favor to not have an unplanned dismount.

I get wanting to enjoy life :slight_smile: (I think we all get that). For you, taking into consideration that choices you make today may not have an impact for 20-30 or more years from now and you’ll want some quality of life then too :slight_smile:

I’ve had to make changes in my life to find quality I can do and enjoy and yes, sometimes it is very hard… I look at what other can do and so many different emotions that I can’t do the same things…

Think you’re on a good track!

OP have you considered driving instead of riding?

Yes you’re so right about things that may be okay now and 20 years from now may also affect to those later years. That’s a great point to think about.

I’ve not really considered driving. I have always had an interest/curiosty about it. I suppose as it’s something I’ve never done and not familiar with, also unfortunately in the area i live there’s nothing really around in terms of learning it either. But also a great idea and something I’d like to research.

thank you all so much, you’ve given me great ideas and advice and I’ve only joined HH today :smiley:

1 Like

I was fused T5-L4 at age 14. Cleared to ride again at 3 months post-op, jumping at 6 months. More than ten years later, so far, so good. I have ridden 4+ days a week through most of those years and currently own a hot (but not stupid) little TB mare. I’m very aware that I have two functional lumbar disc spaces taking the workload of what should be five, and that my quality of life will be much better if I keep them happy for the next 70 years. If it hurts, I stop doing it. If it makes me sore the next day – the bad kind of sore, not “hello muscles, forgotten friends” sore – I take note and do less/differently next time. I try not to be an idiot about it, but I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about things that don’t cause pain.

I cannot sit the trot on an inverted horse. And it’s never going to happen for me on really big-moving horses, no matter how round they are. I have made my peace with the fact that my spine can only accommodate so much motion. My riding aspirations don’t include upper-level dressage, so I just post and life goes on. If that was a dream, I would be looking at getting a USEF dispensation to use rising trot for all trot work. I find that I can sit the canter on most horses (all but the biggest movers) if the horse is over its back and my core strength is where it should be. And I cruise around in a half-seat when that’s not the case.

Fusion doesn’t have to be the end of riding. But my case isn’t yours. Follow your doctor’s orders and have a real conversation about long-term outlook.

4 Likes

findthedistance -
Thankyou for your reply, that’s great to hear, and very inspiring!
That’s so crazy after such a big fusion you were back riding so soon, but it’s obviously worked very well!
Obviously everyone is different, but taking things slow and doing everything at your own pace seems to be the right way to go. Getting used to this new body and how it will react to certain things.

Thanks again,
Happy riding!

1 Like

Seabicuit, this exactly. We’re all different and you need to figure out what works best for you :slight_smile:

Good luck in your recovery!

To be fair, my surgeon worked on a lot of race car drivers. (Apparently I was an “interesting” case…) Given that many of his patients desperately wanted to risk smashing a car into concrete at 200 mph, trotting around on lesson horses must have seemed pretty tame!

I was cleared for all activities, to tolerance, at 6 months. And I took advantage of that. Looking back, I wasn’t all the way settled into my new body for two years. And I really should have had some PT. It all worked out in the end, but be kind to yourself and don’t feel like you have to rush back into activities just because it’s technically permitted. Good luck!

I had L3-4 fused on 2010. I just got back into serious lessons now. I also have arthritis (psoriatic arthritis) and can say that I feel great and did stay with horses after my fusion, just drive with my miniature horse. The surgeon was awesome and said not to limit but to be careful. I feel even better now that I am back riding and enjoying it again. Start slow and build up the muscles. Core muscles are the most important I think. I love driving my horse too, we compete in ADT. Good luck!!