Unlimited access >

Spindletop Hall Carriages - Online Auction

I happened upon a government surplus auction that had a handful of carriages that Pansy Yount of Spindletop Hall, bequeathed to the University of Kentucky. UK decided they don’t have any need for them.

There’s a couple nice ones, and a couple that are a bit rough. Most of them are under $500 right now.

Enclosed Rockaway
Drop Front Phaeton
White Chapple Cart
Fine Harness Buggy
Houghton Breaking Cart - Someone PLEASE bid on this because I accidentally did! :scream:
Sicilian Donkey Cart

6 Likes

I hope they all go to good homes and are actually used. It is sad that a bequest to a university is just being sold.

4 Likes

It would be nicer if UK would donate them somewhere instead of making money off a bequest.

Kentucky Horse Park, maybe?

4 Likes

Shared on my FB page with a couple of people tagged and on the Carriage Driving Classifieds FB page. That Phaeton is beautiful - I wish I was in a position to buy and use it.

I’d buy the donk cart if I had a way to get it here.

I wonder if some movie people would like these carriages. Anybody know any movie peeps?

:laughing:
If you win, you could surely reselll for a lot more than the current bid.

ETA:
Unless you are “h*****” you’ve been outbid :wink:

Did you win the bid???

did any one bid besides Red Mares ??

Thankfully, someone else bid. I think it went for around $250.

This isn’t a cart that you’d make much money on. From what I’ve seen, this type might bring $1K on a good day. After shipping and an overhaul, there wouldn’t be much.

There’s a new lot of them that showed up yesterday. I have a hard believing that UK didn’t have anyone with enough of a clue (or google skills) to give Paul Martin a call. I’d be surprised if some of these don’t end up there.

1 Like

Well it looks like the carriages sold for reasonable prices, neither high or low.

Something a Donor should keep in mInd when leaving possessions to places, is that they will sell or dispose of them as THEY see fit!!. NOTHING is sacred, to be kept forever!! Even things of significant historical value or worth money. Museum managers are always trying to upgrade their collections, so some things need to go, to allow new aquisitions.

I just learned the State of Georgia sold their Bicentennial Wagon from 1976, property of the PEOPLE, given them by the Federal Gov’t then for the Bicentennial Wagon Train going to Valley Forge PA in 1975 and 1976. But some pencil pusher put the Wagon in a State Auction and let it go. I found out about the Auction sale after the Wagon was found for sale on Ebay!!

2 Likes

A post on FB is showing MORE carriages for sale from the Pansey Yount donation to Uiversity of KY at the same Auction site. Sorry I can’t seem to make a link showing all (7 I think) of the carriages in this offering ending Apr 1. There is a 3/4 size Roofseat Break, a Victoria, along with other nice vehicles.

Might be time to shop, without having to go to Martin’s Auction in Pennsylvania!

I expect there will be similar lots the next couple months. I couldn’t find anything about Yount’s collection, but I imagine she had more than the dozen or so listed so far. Heck, I’ve got almost that many and I don’t have a million bucks.

I’m curious to see what the roof seat break goes for. I bid just so I can see after the auction closes.

No one seems to want to touch that Lady’s Phaeton with a 10’ pole. It would be beautiful once restored, but it is rough right now.

Notice there’s limited gear with some of these? I asked if they had the pole for the break and the answer was ‘Nope. What you see is what you get.’ I wonder what happened to it? Could be lost or they could be selling it separately.

I can’t think badly of the school for selling these. They are lovely to look at, but not much used for the school. Spindletop Hall could be turned into something useful for the school. These, not so much. I surprised they’ve hung on to them for this long.

Red_Mares How many vehicles do you think she had? These will probably sell on the lower side, though I saw the Auction link on a FB group, to possibly get more lookers. We have a Roof Seat Break, fits the horses we have. Forgot the maker, someone in NJ, older, natural finish. Only natural finish one I have ever seen! We are more into sporty vehicles, not so much the fancy ones. Our horses are not fancy movers, that look so nice on those Ladies vehicles. We do have a nice Wagonette, but have not ever fitted a pole on it for a Pair. Husband is not into Singles.

A person could make or have made, the pole for the Break. Wonder if it had Leader Bars? We have been casually looking for a set for the Hunting Break we got last year. Bars we have seen have all sold rather high priced. Sellers could not find the Bars at the dispersal sale when we picked the Hunting Break up. We were lucky to get the side doors which owner had taken off YEARS AGO, for easier (but not traditional) access to the middle seat. Doors are a very different color because they never saw the sunshine. Doors are back on now, work fine. Lovely vehicle, rolls easily, horses seem to like it despite the weight. Husband will probably make a set of Leader Bars so he can put Four in front. We SHOULD have a Four going by summer. Easiest way to get them all exercised at once! Ha ha

Here are the seven I could find.

3/4 Roof Seat Breaker w/ Breaks | GovDeals

Spider Pheaton W/ Double Springs and Grooms Seat | GovDeals

Kentucky Breaking Cart | GovDeals

Skelleton Boot Victoria | GovDeals

Country Buck Board Wagon | GovDeals

Early Ladies Pheaton W/ Childs Seat | GovDeals

Flat Fronted Coupe Brougham | GovDeals

I have no idea how many are in the collection. Looking at Spindletop Hall, moderation didn’t seem to be virtue of Ms. Yount.

1 Like

Getting close to the end for this lot. Prices have gone up in the last 24 hours. I’m curious to what the Break will bring. Looks like above my budget - yesterday I wasn’t too sure.

The one ladies phaeton is still kryptonite - only one bid for $250. BTDT, came home with a meadowbrook missing half a shaft. :laughing:

That’s OK, I have to pick up a couple pony bikes I found.