Unlimited access >

Sports Medicine Boots

I’ve been considering getting my '06 OTTB a set of SMB’s for general schooling/rehab as we come back into work, but I’m concerned about a side effect a friend once had with her Dressage horse. Her horse-a retired hunter quarter horse- wore SMB’s and came up sore. Apparently something about the way they fit/supported didn’t go well with his confirmation, and he became sore when he worked in them.
Have you ever heard of an instance like this? Her horse had a very floaty gait, and made it up to 3rd Level, I believe? My horse has a hunter gait- long and low, very efficient without wasted energy. I’m thinking she’d probably be fine, but would rather not spend a hundred plus on a set of boots that only make her sore.

Back On Track boots will be more worth your money, and more suited towards your purpose. I have a pair of great SMB boots but I don’t see them doing anything other than protecting my horse’s leg. I love them and used them often for long distance treks on my late gelding – and they did a great job of keeping brush, ticks, sharp objects, etc from nicking him.

Wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot pole. If all you want is a little protection from bangs (which is all any boot is going to do, anyway), there are a lot less cumbersome options for a lot less money. If you’re looking for soft tissue support…well, nothing will give you that.

[QUOTE=yellowbritches;7617553]
Wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot pole. If all you want is a little protection from bangs (which is all any boot is going to do, anyway), there are a lot less cumbersome options for a lot less money. If you’re looking for soft tissue support…well, nothing will give you that.[/QUOTE]

^This.

They are also made of neoprene which generates a ton of heat and that’s not a good thing. :no:

[QUOTE=OTTBJumpOff;7617543]
I’ve been considering getting my '06 OTTB a set of SMB’s for general schooling/rehab as we come back into work[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of COOLER options out there!

The only “support” studies I’ve seen (for equine booting) relate to limiting extension so you might discuss this with your vet (depending on injury/rehab, this may be a consideration) - I suspect it’s the sort of data that lameness experts may be current on, I’d not expect it of my general practitioner.

Temperature increase in the soft tissue leads to cellular damage & even death at temperatures measured with equine boots - some are much worse for heat retention than others & there is no regulation for this $$$$ industry, no warning required on those particular boots that showed up very badly in the (independent) research studies (instead researchers are not allowed to identify a given boot/manufacturer).

What most vets will say is that there is a trade off between heat retention (observed with every wrapping of the leg) and “hit” protection/shock absorption (where again there is a lot of variance).

You cannot “support” a 1200 horse with a boot!!

I heard of a horse that had problem stumbling. Instructor took the SMB boots off and–presto–no stumbling. Boots were too tight.

You just need protection.

No, but you can limit extension/over-flexion of the fetlock joint (of a certainty - further studies being done) & this is hoped to be useful in rehab situations (ie where there is muscle weakness/atrophy from the stall rest) & possibly in training.

Have you considered just using polo wraps? Cheaper and give some protection from hitting herself if she over extends, etc… I also use SMB’s but bought them from eBay or consignment hardly used for much less money in pretty colors. I’ve never had a problem with them and use them especially when I have a fresh horse in the round pen. I also put bell boots on them too.

I’ve never heard of a horse having problems with SMBs and I do believe they give some support to the fetlock joint since they wrap under. SMBs are what a lot of good reining and cutting horses go in without problem. Just remember to put them on last before your bridle and take them off right after the bridle. I use neoprene boots, although I live in northern ON so hot hear may not be hot where you live.

Yes, at least one study has proven that the SMB-type boots - with a relatively inflexible strap wrapping under the fetlock - do indeed reduce fetlock extension.

As for the OP - you’d have to know if the issues from the SMBs were from the boot itself, incorrect application, or the neoprene to which some horses have allergies. I cannot imagine a correctly applied SMB making a horse sore.

If you are only looking for tendon protection, then use some form of splint boots.

I have never heard of a horse coming up sore from SMBs. I do not use them because of the heat generated and because I’m only looking for impact protection, not support.

I do see many that don’t look like they’ve been put on properly and which slip and/or sag.

[QUOTE=alto;7617986]
No, but you can limit extension/over-flexion of the fetlock joint (of a certainty - further studies being done) & this is hoped to be useful in rehab situations (ie where there is muscle weakness/atrophy from the stall rest) & possibly in training.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I’m using them on a horse for exactly this purpose. There has been a great deal of surprise over her continuing soundness. I suspect that limiting overflexion of the front fetlock joints has had a lot to do with it.