Unlimited access >

Sprenger KK Conrad Correction Bit - experiences?

Anyone seen this bit before? http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/for-the-horse/tack-1/bits/sprenger/sprenger-kk-correction-bit.html

My sensitive new horse grinds his teeth nervously on bits (previous training issues; I have quiet hands). He likes a bit that is very still in his mouth, and he went remarkably relaxed in this one when I borrowed it from a trainer. It’s almost impossible to find in the US besides the occasional Ebay sale. Is there a reason for that besides marketing? What about the bit’s show legal status - and if not legal, why not?
Despite it’s name “correction bit”, it seemed very easy on my horse’s mouth.

Check your region’s dressage rule book and measure the bit.

I think it is legal now both in the US and Canada.
(but I would have to measure it because the Sprenger website doesn’t give any measurements)

As for its availability, I’m sure you could order it from any supplier near you who carries Sprenger material. It is not a popular choice that’s all.

The dimensions of a bit such as list are listed in the USEF Dressage rules. If it works than great.

I suspect it stills more still in his mouth and gives room for the tongue.

My old horse could not tolerate a loose ring because the added movement was just too much for her sensitive self. A loose ring with a mullen was sort of ok but not enough room for her tongue. A segunda worked great but was not legal.

Many horses can get heavy in it.

Given that the website suggests it’s good for correcting heavy horses and making them more submissive, doesn’t that suggest it’s not actually a good fit for your overly sensitive and slightly abused horse? Wouldn’t something better be like a baucher? They are designed for sensitive-mouthed horses because they remain very still in the mouth. And they’re perfectly legal :wink:

I’m 99 percent sure it’s not show legal. I wrote to USDF (USEF?) early this year about a very similar bit, the HS Comfort Mouth Mullen Mouth Snaffle, and got a thumbs-down from the rules person.

FWIW, THAT bit (the Comfort Mouth) is lovely until and unless you need brakes. My mare bolted in it in an indoor last March, and there was absolutely no stopping her. I came off on the short side, literally flew into the kickboards, snapped my humerus and severed two tendons in my rotator cuff, and am still in a sling six months later. I didn’t even make the connection to the bit till last week, when the barn owner told me that three different horses had taken off with her in it while out hacking… It’s now been permanently retired from my collection.

I wouldn’t choose a bit that is described as being corrective and good for gaining submission on horses that pull for a horse with a sensitive mouth w a tendency to grind.

BTW - the website says it’s good for horses w a raw palate. Did they mean low?

I have a sensitive, fussy gentleman that we tried KK Ultra, egg buts, full cheeks, bauchers etc. He really likes to start curling up, leaning, twisting his head etc. Yes, teeth done, proper sized etc. I found this bit at a pony club rally tack sale for $20 and thought I would try it. He LOVES it. I use a figure 8 instead of a flash as his preference and we went from arguing about head set to steady in the hand, consistent in the contact. I use it for schooling dressage as well as cross country and hacking out. I measured it and it is legal.

Well, sadly, our horses have not read all the books on what SHOULD work for them as individuals.

That leaves us to try what should work. And a few that shouldn’t work and let the horse tell US what they like.

FYI, Myler will soon have another ported bit in their line with a wider, low port that is “dressage” (USDF?) legal, I believe. (#33 LP mouth piece)

yeah, how do you explain to the dressage horse that the Stubben Elevator bit shouldn’t be his favorite bit?

[QUOTE=Behind the 8 Ball;7157889]
I have a sensitive, fussy gentleman that we tried KK Ultra, egg buts, full cheeks, bauchers etc. He really likes to start curling up, leaning, twisting his head etc. Yes, teeth done, proper sized etc. I found this bit at a pony club rally tack sale for $20 and thought I would try it. He LOVES it. I use a figure 8 instead of a flash as his preference and we went from arguing about head set to steady in the hand, consistent in the contact. I use it for schooling dressage as well as cross country and hacking out. I measured it and it is legal.[/QUOTE]

What is the bit you use Behind the 8 Ball?

http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/for-the-horse/tack-1/bits/sprenger/sprenger-kk-correction-bit.html

This: The Sprenger correction bit, he finds it and is steady on it. I also like it because it has the same mouth as the Weymouth I plan to start him in when we get there, probably by the end of the winter. Should make for a nice, easy transition. ( knock on wood )

[QUOTE=mjhco;7158349]
Well, sadly, our horses have not read all the books on what SHOULD work for them as individuals.

That leaves us to try what should work. And a few that shouldn’t work and let the horse tell US what they like.[/QUOTE]

That’s a wise response, and about as much as I can say, too. Unpredictable. One of my horses hates thick, “mild” bits - thinner is gentler on his low palate. I always thought a KK lozenge mouth was the kindest possible bit, and my new horse hates them the most. I thought he’d like a baucher but he didn’t (although it did have a lozenge mouthpiece). I’ll be playing around with a single-jointed full cheek & baucher when I get my hands on some but so far this one seems to do the trick.
I’ve looked deeper into the Conrad correction bit, and I believe the “correction” here is that it prevents a horse from getting his tongue over the bit. It really seems quite mild, and my horse is very quiet in his mouth compared to before, and I’m not using a noseband of any kind. I also like that the mouthpiece is shaped like a weymouth. I don’t like to hear about possible heaviness in the contact, as he’s such a soft-mouthed horse, but I’ll just wait to see how it goes over time. At least in this bit he only get chompy when he doesn’t understand something, not grinding & chomping all the time constantly like before. Seems like a similar success to Behind the 8 Ball.

that correction bit gives all kinds if room for the tongue.

doesn’t ‘bend’ around all the structures of the mouth (tongue, bars, etc) doesn’t telegraph every tiny movement of the reins to sensitive structures of the face.

Heaviness comes from lack of carrying from behind which is created by a huge number of causes. Some of which are due to obscession with the face by horse and/or rider

[QUOTE=mjhco;7162118]
that correction bit gives all kinds if room for the tongue.

doesn’t ‘bend’ around all the structures of the mouth (tongue, bars, etc) doesn’t telegraph every tiny movement of the reins to sensitive structures of the face.

Heaviness comes from lack of carrying from behind which is created by a huge number of causes. Some of which are due to obscession with the face by horse and/or rider[/QUOTE]

mjhco, please forgive my ignorance here as I’m new to so much of this. Should a bit bend around all the structures of the mouth? Should it telegraph every tiny movement of the reins to the face? This is probably an obvious question, but I’m asking earnestly because I really just don’t know.
If the answer is a “yes”, can you explain how a bit does these things and what type does these most efficiently? Or direct me to a good article about this?
I assume that if a bit doesn’t telegraph every tiny movement to the horse, it would actually be good for a sensitive horse and/or a rider with busy or unskilled hands.